How to configure for a VPN email account RRS feed

• Question

• I work from home doing a small amount of consultant work.  I have three email accounts set up in Outlook.  (1) (My LLC Business) XXX@gmail.com, (2) (Family personal) XXX@me.com and (3) (Client part-time consulting work) XXX@XXX.com.  The client recently changed their email service so it now requires me to login via to their VPN service and then login to their email account.  When I do, their VPN does not allow Outlook to receive or send from my other accounts.  

The majority of my work is not with this client so I don't login to their VPN, however, if I'm not logged in I don't know if I've received any email traffic addressed to me.  Is there a way to set up a rule of some type in their "Inbox" that will send a message automatically addressed my Business email that says "you got mail"?

And secondly, to stop Outlook constancy prompting me to login to client's account?  If I'm not logged in in to the VPN, it keeps re-appearing.  Doing "cancel" is no help.

I would appreciate any advice or guidance.  I use MS Office Pro Plus 2016 and Win 10 Pro.

Steve  

Sunday, October 14, 2018 6:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Steve,

I am writing to see how everything is going on with the problem. If the above replies of Roady was helpful, please remember to mark it as answer so that others who might have a similar question can benefit from the thread. Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by Mrcvn Tuesday, October 23, 2018 1:30 PM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2018 9:37 AM

All replies

• It is probably blocked in their firewall. You can ask whether they can make an exception for you so that traffic still goes through.

Otherwise, you'll indeed have to configure a forwarder via a rule but this could be blocked within their Exchange configuration. This is blocked by default for On-Premises Exchange servers. See; Allow or prevent Automatic Forwarding/Replying to the Internet

They can configure a mailbox-level forwarder which bypasses this block so they can leave the defaults if they want to.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

Sunday, October 14, 2018 8:00 PM
  • Robert,

Thank you for your advice.  I have contacted the client company to see if they can configure a rule/notification that will forward to my business email any time I get hits to their/my inbox.  Hopefully, that will fix part of the problem of being blind to their emails when not logged into their VPN.

Second question, when I'm not logged into the VPN, Outlook keeps prompting for my password to the client email.  It stays hard focused in the laptop's screen.  No amount of cancelling drops it off screen.  It pops up every 15 seconds or so.  Even when I minimize Outlook it remains on screen.  I have to constantly move it around to see what I'm working on (Excel, Word, etc...).  Is there a setting to stop the prompting?

Steve 

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 3:09 PM
  • Considering the fact that the account only works when you are connected to their VPN and your own accounts don't work while you are connected to the VPN, probably the easiest solution would be to create separate Mail Profiles; 1 containing your own accounts and 1 containing the account of your client.

You can configure this in the Mail applet within Control Panel or via;
    File-> Account Settings-> Manage Profiles

Additionally see; Adding/Recreating a Mail Profile

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 4:37 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I am writing to see how everything is going on with the problem. If the above replies of Roady was helpful, please remember to mark it as answer so that others who might have a similar question can benefit from the thread. Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by Mrcvn Tuesday, October 23, 2018 1:30 PM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2018 9:37 AM