CD Drive will not work. MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ862AS RRS feed

• Question

• MY CD drive will not work.  It shows up in my computer and in Device Manager, and also if i open the properties, the device status tells me it is working properly.  I done some research and found that this could be a problem from using CD burning software so i deleted what was installed and followed some instructions which had me open some files through regedit and delete some upper/lower filters(there were only upper filters). Judging by the comments in all the forums i have been in, this solution seemed to fix other peoples computer's however mine just doesn't want to work, when i enter a CD the drive makes the usual whirring noise and then just cuts off, i have tried starting the CD by clicking the image in my computer too but that has no effect, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

My laptop is an Asus X5DIJ on Windows 7, and my CD drive is a MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ862AS if that helps.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:59 PM

All replies

• I would first check for an updated driver.  If that doesnt work...

You may have removed the burning software but its values may still reside in registry.  You might want to "carefully" use Ccleaner to remove the defunct entires.  I would both backyp the registry (an option in ccleaner) and make a backup/restore point just in case.

MS-MVP 2010, 2011, 2012 Sysnative.com Team ZigZag

Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:52 PM
  • Hi zigzag, thanks for the quick reply. I have just finished running Ccleaner, i fixed all issues in the registry and then cleaned up everything under the "windows" and "application" tabs.  My drivers are also up to date but the problem is still there, i also ran microsoft fix it which seemed to pick up on an issue but was unable to fix it, when i clicked to receive the details of the problem it told me the drive was either empty or an uncompatible format was inserted, however i have tried a few CDs and they work fine on other computer's, any ideas? Thanks again!
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:49 PM
  • I seem to be having the exact same problem as these guys, except i am using an Asus X5DIJ and not an HP. http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-CD-DVD-Reply-Only/CD-DVD-drive-non-responsive/td-p/488475
    Friday, September 14, 2012 4:37 PM