Client push to a new Device (without boundary) RRS feed

• Question

• Guys 

Easy question for you, im setting up a new environment, i setup the System Discovery so i can see the client i need in the list of devices. Can i push a client if they still do not belong to any boundary?

Friday, February 24, 2017 9:27 PM

Answers

• Actually, you can. If the client is not assigned to a site via a boundary group, you can manually specify the site server that should deploy the client which takes of the site assignment part.

For content, if the client does not fall in a boundary group for content, you can either have a fallback DP in your infra which the client can grab content from and the client can also fallback to grabbing the needed content for the client install from a management point.

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Friday, February 24, 2017 11:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Miguel Rosales Saturday, February 25, 2017 4:41 AM
    Friday, February 24, 2017 10:24 PM

All replies

• No you cannot, boundaries have to be setted so that the client can communicate with the site.
    • Marked as answer by Miguel Rosales Friday, February 24, 2017 9:59 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Miguel Rosales Friday, February 24, 2017 11:48 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2017 9:59 PM
  • Thanks Narcoticoo
    Friday, February 24, 2017 10:00 PM
  • Actually, you can. If the client is not assigned to a site via a boundary group, you can manually specify the site server that should deploy the client which takes of the site assignment part.

For content, if the client does not fall in a boundary group for content, you can either have a fallback DP in your infra which the client can grab content from and the client can also fallback to grabbing the needed content for the client install from a management point.

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Friday, February 24, 2017 11:22 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2017 10:24 PM
  • I tried to push it to a site that was without boundary, but the client never arrived.  Thats why i set the question, so you are suggesting that in the ccmsetup.exe command switch i will need to set the boundary?  Can you give me a suggestion?

Friday, February 24, 2017 11:30 PM
  • You don't set a boundary via ccmsetup parameters. Did you check ccm.log when you attempted to push the client?

As general notes, you need to specify a client push account that has admin rights on the machine you are pushing to and make sure smssitecode parameter is specified in the client push installation properties. And like I mentioned above, you need to manually choose the site server that will push the client when you are doing the push.

• Unmarked as answer by Miguel Rosales Saturday, February 25, 2017 4:41 AM
    Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:32 AM
  • Question: Why don't you have a boundary and a boundary group for the clients?

For client push to work, without checking the force install option (as noted by Emmanuel), the resource for the client must be assigned to the site. This is normally done as a result of AD System discovery and boundaries as members of a boundary group marked for site assignment.

Also, keep in mind that they are three phases of client push, the site server "pushing" ccmsetup.exe to the client, ccmsetup downloading necessary pre-requsities, and ccmsetup calling the necessary installers to install the pre-reqs and the client. Each has its own uniquenesses when it comes to boundaries.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Saturday, February 25, 2017 4:08 AM
  • Im planning on migrating from an old SCCM server to a new one, so actually i have two enviroments. I was trying to see if this is something i was able to do without breaking the current one that is working.  But i will then set first my local DP and set the boundary to them before deploying.
    Saturday, February 25, 2017 4:41 AM
  • boundaries have to be setted so that the client can communicate with the site.

Not true. A site can work witout boundaries at all (with some limitations though).

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, February 27, 2017 6:54 AM
  • Do i need this option enabled in my Primary Site? I only have one. 

Monday, February 27, 2017 7:13 PM
  • Depends upon your goals.

That's not a site wide option, it's a per boundary group option that enables (auto-)site assignment of clients at different phases including resource discovery. Auto-client push won't even attempt to push to a resource that isn't assigned to the site. Manually client push won't either unless you check the force option on the dialog.

Should you or shouldn't you is based upon your desires and configuration.

Generally, yes, folks have at least one boundary group configured for site assignment (you really don't need more than one ever unless you have multiple sites). You then add all of your boundaries to this group. Although I prefer to use separate boundary groups for site assignment and site system location, you don't have to.

Monday, February 27, 2017 7:58 PM
  • so if i have in each of my 20 sites i have a local DP and i Set boundarys to that Local DP, i dont need to set that site assignment option?

Monday, February 27, 2017 10:05 PM
  • Sorry, but huh? DPs have nothing to do with this discussion. Also, you don't configure this option on boundaries, you configure it on boundary groups.

If you want to use auto-client push or manual client push without selecting the force option, the resource must be assigned to the site. Thus, the resource must fall into a boundary that is a member of a boundary group marked for site assignment. That's it.

So, going back to your original question and repeating the answers already given: "Can i push a client if they still do not belong to any boundary?"

No, not if you are using auto-client push.

Yes, if you are using manual client push and you select the option to force client install.

That doesn't mean you won't have content issues in the future though.

Monday, February 27, 2017 10:29 PM
  • Clear as water, thanks sandy
    Monday, February 27, 2017 10:30 PM