none
DPM 2016 and Server 2016-VM Replica inconsistent after live migration. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

We have DPM 2016 infrastructure. We have hyper-V 2012 R2 and 2016 hosts. We are doing some live migration of vm's from 2012 R2 to server 2016 hosts. After live migration I removed the migrated VM from DPM protection and re added it under new host. Replica is inconsistent in this way.

If I upgrade the VM configuration version, remove protection from dpm and re add it to DPM then the backup is successfull. When VM configurationversion is upgraded to 8.0 RCT is enabled. My question is is it possible to backup the VM using DPM 2016 from Server 2016 Hyper-V without upgrading the configuration version.

Note: I dont have VMM.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 5:59 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Yes, this should be possible. Did you try to clear the cache once adding the VM to protection group? 

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Thursday, May 3, 2018 5:31 AM
  • Do I have to remove the VM from protection group even though the hyper-V host where vm is moved is on the same protection group? 

Thursday, May 3, 2018 3:45 PM
  • Yes, you will need to remove it with retain data option. 

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Thursday, May 3, 2018 6:43 PM
  • Matej,

I did the following steps.

1) Moved 2012 R2 Vm from 2012 R2 server to 2016 server.

2) Removed VM from protection.

3) Modified the protection group , Refreshed.

4) Added VM into protection group.

Still the Replica is inconsistent. I haven't upgraded the configuration version. The VM has configuration version of 5.0.

Thursday, May 3, 2018 9:17 PM
  • Hi ashok_npn,

Are you getting any more detailed errors why the replica is inconsistent?

Have you checked the status of the VSS writers?

Open up a command prompt and run vssadmin list writers

Kind regards,
    Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Thursday, May 3, 2018 9:42 PM
  • ashok_npn

I tested the same procedure in my environment and it worked for me. On the other hand why aren't you also upgrading the configuration version of your VM's if moving them to Windows Server 2016? There are some new shiny features available with the latest configuration version :) 

Friday, May 4, 2018 9:07 AM
  • Matej,

Thank you for your test results. I cannot upgrade configuration version now because of downtime it needed. Also I have followed all the procedure exactly as you said, After VM is migrated I did refreshed the protection group and re added the vm, after some time it says replica is in invalid state. My VSS status is normal in Hyper-V host server. The problem will be solved after I upgrade the configuration version. Also is RCT the only way to backup version 8.0 vm's?

Friday, May 4, 2018 3:17 PM
  • Can you paste the inconsistent event ID? Don't know if I understood your questions correctly, but yes you need VM configuration versions 8.0 for RCT support.

Saturday, May 5, 2018 7:55 AM
  • The replica of VM01 on HOST01 is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. (ID: 3106)
    The VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad state. Either it was already in a bad state or it entered a bad state during the current operation. (ID: 30111)
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 3:00 PM
  • Hi ashok_npn,

Could you open up a command prompt on the Hyper-V host and run the following command:
    vssadmin list write and give us the output?

Kind regards,
    Leon

Don't forget to visit my blog The System Center Blog

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 9:00 AM