Need to move the App-V database RRS feed

• Question

• I was hoping someone had a link or some information on how to migrate the App-V database from one remote SQL 2008 server to another remote SQL 2008 server.  I couldn't find anything on Microsoft Technet about this.

Thanks,

Scot

Thursday, October 8, 2009 5:57 PM

Answers

• Contents of server.conf file has been moved to registry, to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Server.

But you still have reference to the database in the database itself for Server Group logging purposes, it's on Logging -tab of the server group's properties. Cannot remember what was the table for it if you change directly within database.

And unlike with pre-4.5 versions, since database connection uses integrated authentication instead of SQL logins, be sure to grant access to SQL Server and migrated App-V database for the machine account(s) of App-V Management Server. You can look at your old SQL Server's Security -> Logins to see what permissions the machine account needs to have.

br,
    Kalle

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, October 13, 2009 9:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Scot Gustafson Friday, March 12, 2010 7:10 PM
    Friday, October 9, 2009 6:33 AM

All replies

• Hello,

See this for some general guidance;
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;932136

/Znack
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 5:59 PM
  • I saw this and read  through it, but the only file it says to modify that still exists on app-V is SftMgmt.udl.

Is that now the only file necessary to change to move the database?
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 6:07 PM
  • Hello,

According to the article there are a few more things todo - I would suggest giving it a good read through once more.

/Znack
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Yes, I agree, but what I was specifically referring to were changes from Softgrid to App-v.  Some steps, such as:

Reconfigure the SoftGrid Virtual Application Server

1. On the SoftGrid Virtual Application Server, right-click Start, and then click Explore.
    2. Locate the following folder:
      C:\Program Files\Softricity\SoftGrid Server\conf
    3. Locate the Server.conf file.
    4. Use a text editor to change the host name that is between the <location> tag and the </location> tag to the host name of the computer that is running SQL Server.
    5. Save the change, and then exit Windows Explorer.

don't apply.  There is no server.conf file anymore.  What I was wondering was if the guide would still catch everything required for the move since there are obviously changes in the structure of the application.

I was hoping there would be a step-by-step available since we do not have a testing environment available and I am on a short deadline to get this DB moved.

Thanks for your help so far znack.

Scot

Thursday, October 8, 2009 8:06 PM
  • Contents of server.conf file has been moved to registry, to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Server.

But you still have reference to the database in the database itself for Server Group logging purposes, it's on Logging -tab of the server group's properties. Cannot remember what was the table for it if you change directly within database.

And unlike with pre-4.5 versions, since database connection uses integrated authentication instead of SQL logins, be sure to grant access to SQL Server and migrated App-V database for the machine account(s) of App-V Management Server. You can look at your old SQL Server's Security -> Logins to see what permissions the machine account needs to have.

br,
    Kalle

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, October 13, 2009 9:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Scot Gustafson Friday, March 12, 2010 7:10 PM
    Friday, October 9, 2009 6:33 AM
  • The table name is: dbo.data_sources just edit rows and then u can change the hostname of server

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 3:22 PM
  • This is the best Technet article on this

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg252515.aspx

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 10:46 PM