WSUS connects for a while but then errors RRS feed

• Question

• In the office I've got a Server 2016 Standard machine that I installed WSUS on. I configured my personal desktop to point to the WSUS server and the computer showed up as it should, but then after a few hours I checked back and WSUS is showing:

Error: Connection Error

An error occurred trying to connect the WSUS server. This error can happen for a number of reasons. Check connectivity with the server. Please contact your network administrator if the problem persists.

It gave me the option to copy the error to clipboard so here is the full error:

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API. 

Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service.

System.Net.WebException -- The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable.

Source
    System.Web.Services

Stack Trace:
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting.ExecuteSPGetConfiguration()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.ExecuteSPGetConfiguration()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServerConfiguration.Load()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ClassFactory.CreateWellKnownType(Type type, Object[] args)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ClassFactory.CreateInstance(Type type, Object[] args)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.GetConfiguration()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.CachedObject.RefreshCache()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.CachedObject.GetFromCache()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.PermissionsManager.IsPermitted(UserOperation operation)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.UpdatesSummaryScopeNode.RefreshPermissions()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.AddChildNodes()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ConnectToServerAndPopulateNode(Boolean connectingServerToConsole)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ResetScopeNode()

If I hit "Reset Server Node" it basically just refreshes and brings back the same error. I rebooted the server and when it came back up WSUS worked, but again after a couple hours it stopped working and is doing the same thing. One thing I'm thinking is that it's possible that I forgot to run the post installation tasks after installing WSUS. Would it even let me exit out of the install without running the post installation tasks though? And if so, how can I go back and complete those tasks? Thanks!

• Edited by paulr24 Wednesday, May 17, 2017 7:33 PM
    Wednesday, May 17, 2017 7:32 PM

All replies

• Am 17.05.2017 schrieb paulr24:

An error occurred trying to connect the WSUS server. This error can happen for a number of reasons. Check connectivity with the server. Please contact your network administrator if the problem persists.

Open IIS, Application Pools, Restart WSUSPool. And this Article with
    the memory could help:
    https://www.404techsupport.com/2016/03/iis-wsus-private-memory/
    Winfried

WSUS Package Publisher: http://wsuspackagepublisher.codeplex.com/
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb332157.aspx
    http://www.wsuswiki.com/Home

• Proposed as answer by Wendy Jiang Monday, May 22, 2017 12:22 PM
    Wednesday, May 17, 2017 8:03 PM
  • My script will fix your issue - and you can use it to easily increase the Private Memory limit too if you so choose.

Have a peek at my Adamj Clean-WSUS script. It is the last WSUS Script you will ever need.

http://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2998-adamj-clean-wsus

What it does:

1. Remove all Drivers from the WSUS Database.
    2. Shrink your WSUSContent folder's size by declining superseded updates.
    3. Remove declined updates from the WSUS Database.
    4. Clean out all the synchronization logs that have built up over time (configurable, with the default keeping the last 14 days of logs).
    5. Compress Update Revisions.
    6. Remove Obsolete Updates.
    7. Computer Object Cleanup (configurable, with the default of deleting computer objects that have not synced within 30 days).
    8. Application Pool Memory Configuration to display the current private memory limit and easily increase it by any configurable amount.
    9. Run the Recommended SQL database Maintenance script on the actual SQL database.
    10. Run the Server Cleanup Wizard.

It will email the report out to you or save it to a file, or both.

Although the script is lengthy, it has been made to be super easy to setup and use. There are some prerequisites and instructions at the top of the script. After installing the prerequisites and configuring the variables for your environment, simply run:

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -FirstRun

and then

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -InstallTask

If you wish to view or increase the Application Pool Memory Configuration, you must run it with the required switch. See Get-Help .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -Examples

If you're having trouble, there's also a -HelpMe option that will create a log so you can send it to me for support.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

• Edited by AJTek.caMVP Thursday, May 18, 2017 3:50 AM Created link within answer
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 3:41 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 22, 2017 12:22 PM