none
DPM has run oiut of space RRS feed

• Question

• I have DPM 2k10, it seemed to me configured correctly protecting MOSS and sql, retention range = 1 day, express full backup runs every Sunday at 2AM. All of a sudden, this morning, while I was checking status, on 2 jobs I have the following alert :

Recovery point
    DPM has run out of free space on the recovery point volume and will fail synchronization for SQL2K8\SharePoint_Config on sql2k8.salam.net in order to prevent existing recovery points from being deleted.
    ID 30195 Details: Internal error code: 0x80990AB2)

First of all, protectiuon group has the option "Automatically grow the volumes" which indicates that it will automatically grow the allocated volumes when more disk space is required..................., so 1st question, if this is enabled, why it is running out of space, I have 2 hard drives in the pool everyone has 50% allocated. so I have a lot pof free space.

2nd, on the failing job I have Data size : 9.23 GB, Replica volume : 10.86. 2nd question, what should I do in the modify disk allocation TAB ? should I double the size for the 1st or the 2nd? how can I know how much is needed? I searched MS website for storage excel sheet for calculating needed space which seems not available.

Also, in the modify allocation tab, I tried shrink link, I get the following message box :

"Windows can not shrink currently due to the presence of data towards the end of the volume. As older recovery points expire, windows should be able to shrink the volume

Sunday, August 8, 2010 8:13 AM

Answers

• HI,

The 15 minute autogrow restriction has nothing to do with the frequency of the PG syncs, it's an internal timer in Access Manager code that prevents more tha one autogrow operation to occur in any 15 minute time interval.  As stated earlier, this is to prevent unexpected run away growth.

Recovery point volume shrink does not in any way effect DPM DB, it simply reclaimes un-used space in the case where you have have accidently over-allocated disk space to the recovery point volume, or possibly reduced your retension period from lets say 60 days down to 30, and now you want to free up the extra disk space and returned to the storage pool as free space so it can be reused for other PG members.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, August 9, 2010 3:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check the application event log around the time of the backup failure and look to see if we have any events showing that we attempted or actually performed an auto-grow, or if it failed for some reason.  Also be aware that DPM will not autogrow a volume more than 1 time in a 15 minute time frame to avoid run away growth, so check to see if we had already grown that volume once by looking for events prior to the failure.

The alert is stating that the recovery point volume ran out of space, please add a minumum of 10GB or 25% of the volume size to the recovery point volume, that is what DPM would have done if it were successsful.

If the retension range is only for 1 day, and the recovery point volume is close to being full, then you may never be able to shrink it since shadow copy files may occupy the end of the disk that cannot be moved.  Also, the minumum we can shrink a recovery point is 10GB.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 3:25 PM
  • Mike, the only message is an information message around the same time as the job was executed and it states the following :

The description for Event ID 33143 from source MSDPM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

The volume for sql2k8\SharePoint_Config has grown from 1,85 GB to 11,85 GB.

Problem Details:
    <AutoHealEvent><__System><ID>1061</ID><Seq>0</Seq><TimeCreated>08/08/2010 00:24:18</TimeCreated><Source>AutoHeal.cs</Source><Line>248</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System></AutoHealEvent>
    the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

I have nothing that runs every 15 minutes, as I said earlier, express backup is done once every week. Anyway, my recovery point was 11G, I increased it to 23, did a shrink and requested to create a a recovery point, I will update this thread once the job is completed.

Thanks for your help

Salaml

Sunday, August 8, 2010 4:32 PM
  • Hi,

So this tells me that DPM did autogrow the volume for that data source by 10GB: <The volume for sql2k8\SharePoint_Config has grown from 1,85 GB to 11,85 GB> but after it grew it, we ran out of space again.  The 1st autogrow prevented the job from failing, but since it could not auto-grow it again within a 15 minute period, it failed the job.

Bottom line is you need to manually grow the reconery point volume now and then run a CC - once it's healthy, future jobs should run fune. 

Sunday, August 8, 2010 5:15 PM
  • Thanks again Mike for the followup, job finished correctly after manually increasing allocated disk. However, I have nothing that runs every 15 minutes, I have retention range = 1 day, sync frequencey set = just before a recovery point.

Does this means that next time DPM needs space, it will not be possible for him in  any case because he has already done it once?

2nd question, what "shrink does", is it similar to a database shrink operation?

Thanks in advance

Sunday, August 8, 2010 6:53 PM
  • HI,

The 15 minute autogrow restriction has nothing to do with the frequency of the PG syncs, it's an internal timer in Access Manager code that prevents more tha one autogrow operation to occur in any 15 minute time interval.  As stated earlier, this is to prevent unexpected run away growth.

Recovery point volume shrink does not in any way effect DPM DB, it simply reclaimes un-used space in the case where you have have accidently over-allocated disk space to the recovery point volume, or possibly reduced your retension period from lets say 60 days down to 30, and now you want to free up the extra disk space and returned to the storage pool as free space so it can be reused for other PG members.

Monday, August 9, 2010 3:51 PM
  • I also ran into this. Adjusting the Disk allocation to 3-times of the needed space fixed it exactly.
    Friday, January 24, 2014 9:41 AM