none
DPM 2010 and Windows XP Guest Hyper-V RRS feed

• Question

• Can I backup Virtual Windows XP using snapshot?
    (without Quest OS going to saved state)

- Meitzi
    • Moved by MarcReynolds Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:04 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:41 AM

Answers

• DPM does support backing up Windows XP VM's running under a Hyper-V host without requiring the VM to go in to a saved state. 

If you are still interested in pursuing this issue in the forum, please re-open the thread with the errors that are logged in DPM when attempting to backup the XP VM in an online state.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Regards, Michael V [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 11:52 PM

All replies

- Meitzi

Hi Meitzi,

The requirements for DPM to be able to backup a Hyper-V virtual machine without going to a saved state is the OS needs to run VSS and the Hyper-V integration tools need to be installed so this should work on Windows XP. I would also make sure your XP VM is updated with SP3.

HTH

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:53 AM

- Meitzi

Hi Meitzi,

The requirements for DPM to be able to backup a Hyper-V virtual machine without going to a saved state is the OS needs to run VSS and the Hyper-V integration tools need to be installed so this should work on Windows XP. I would also make sure your XP VM is updated with SP3.

HTH

Hi Meitzi,

I went and did some testing. I was not able to get it to not go into a saved state when syncing. I don't think that will work on XP.

HTH

Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:42 PM
  • DPM does support backing up Windows XP VM's running under a Hyper-V host without requiring the VM to go in to a saved state. 

If you are still interested in pursuing this issue in the forum, please re-open the thread with the errors that are logged in DPM when attempting to backup the XP VM in an online state.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Regards, Michael V [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 11:52 PM