none
Transferring an existing set of OneNote notebooks from a private to a business account

Question

• Some 3 years ago a member of staff created a set of work related OneNote notebooks within his private Microsoft account. The data is stored in his private OneDrive. The information stored in this set of notebooks is business critical and very extensive, including numerous notes that contain links to documents also stored within his OneDrive. 

This person is now leaving the department and is training someone else to continue using the OneNote infrastructure he has created, but would like to move the entire thing from his personal account to another account, a business account if possible. The organization does indeed have a business account arrangement with Microsoft.

A major sticking point with making the move is the issue of the links in the notes, which point to external documents in his private OneDrive. When using OneNote that is connected to a private Microsoft account it is easy to link documents using mouse right-click context functionality. This appears not to exist when working when connected with a business account.

I have several questions, the answers to which can most probably be answered only by someone who is quite expert at using OneNote both in private and business contexts:

1. Does OneNote have identical functionality (ie: for creating links to external documents) both in the private and business contexts?

2. Is it at all possible to export the entire set of OneNote notebooks from the private account, import into a business account, move all the external documents to corresponding folders in the OneDrive of the business account, and make all the links point to their new locations? The existing links typically contain http URLs, presumably to locations in the cloud storage area of the private OneDrive account.

3. If the private and business contexts of OneNote are not functionally compatible, is there a way of moving the entire thing from one private account to another, including re-pointing of the links?

4. Where can I look to get instructions on how to carry out such a migration, assuming it is in any way possible?

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 11:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>1. Does OneNote have identical functionality (ie: for creating links to external documents) both in the private and business contexts?

Not sure about the "external documents" mentioned in your question. Do you mean the documents stored in Internet such as the Word files saved in personal OneDrive folder? If that is the case, Yes, we can create links in OneNote to external documents for business account.

>>2. Is it at all possible to export the entire set of OneNote notebooks from the private account, import into a business account, move all the external documents to corresponding folders in the OneDrive of the business account, and make all the links point to their new locations? The existing links typically contain http URLs, presumably to locations in the cloud storage area of the private OneDrive account.

Yes, we can export the entries of OneNote notebooks from the personal Microsoft account to OneDrive for Business account. About pointing all links to new locations at once, I am afraid there is no method to do it. You can change the links manually after importing notebooks to OneDrive for Business account.

>>3. If the private and business contexts of OneNote are not functionally compatible, is there a way of moving the entire thing from one private account to another, including re-pointing of the links?

Not quite sure about the process of re-pointing of the links. I think it is better to make an example about it or provide some screenshots about it.

>>4. Where can I look to get instructions on how to carry out such a migration, assuming it is in any way possible?

Please refer to the following article to make an local backup for the notebooks content of your personal account:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Back-up-notes-f58b34b0-611d-435e-87fa-7942a1767af4?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US#ID0EAABAAA=2016,_2013,_2010 

Then restore the backup notebooks to your OneDrive for Business account:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Restore-notes-from-a-backup-5daf9cb0-6769-4998-a5de-f044fdd0d831

If there is anything unclear about it, feel free to let me know :)

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 6, 2017 6:39 AM
  • Hi,

Is there anything unclear about my previous reply?

Please feel free to let me know if you need any further assistance :)

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 9:38 AM