WSUS - NOT showing Duplicate Server Names RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have setup an upstream server within our DMZ and two replica servers in test and production.  While test and prod are separate networks they have the same domain and server names. While I can see each server in their respective group on each replica server, the upstream server only shows either the test or prod server names instead of both.

I have checked the WSUS registry entries and they are unique.

I assume I have I will have to change the replicas to autonomous but wanted to confirm here before I go and make that change.

Thanks,

Brad

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 7:55 AM

Answers

• Hi Brad Sherwin,

Typically, WSUS server use SusClientID to identify WSUS clients, computer name is only the attribute of the SusClientID. If SusClientID is not duplicated, they may show as in WSUS console with same computer names.

While it's not a good practice to make product environment totally same as test environment, it may cause a lot of conflict. It is suggested to change the domain name of your test environment, in this way, it's also easy to manage these computers in WSUS server.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 20, 2016 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Brad Sherwin,

Typically, WSUS server use SusClientID to identify WSUS clients, computer name is only the attribute of the SusClientID. If SusClientID is not duplicated, they may show as in WSUS console with same computer names.

While it's not a good practice to make product environment totally same as test environment, it may cause a lot of conflict. It is suggested to change the domain name of your test environment, in this way, it's also easy to manage these computers in WSUS server.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 20, 2016 9:22 AM
  • Hi Brad Sherwin,

Could the above reply be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, welcome to feed back.

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, November 3, 2016 6:15 AM