none
Unix/Linux agent version confusion RRS feed

• Question

• Recently we've upgraded from 1801 to 1807.
    The new managementpack for unix/linux is installed with version 7.7.1136.0
    Today I started to upgrade some redhat agents which were on version 1.6.2-339
    To my surprise they now have version 1.6.0-163 after the upgrade, so they seem to be downgraded.
    If i try another server you can see i can only choose to downgrade.
    In the documentation (that's never been updated since scom 2012) i cannot find anything on version.
    On this github site, which i believe should have the latest versions i see even a lower version
    1.6.0-0
    https://github.com/Microsoft/omi-kits/tree/master/release

I also see some agents in my system of version 1.4.1-45 which are oms agents, i don't know how they got in here.
    Is there any documentation over the unix/linux versions that is up to date?
    And also if en when i should use an oms agent, we only connect our agents to scom, not oms..should i reinstall those oms agents to get a normal scom agent.

Ronald

Thursday, January 24, 2019 10:36 AM

Answers

• Hello Roland,

There's an earlier similar post about the same topic, check the answer provided by Stoyan, maybe it could help clarifying some things.

Strange Linux Agent Version after Upgrade from SCOM 2016 to SCOM 1801

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Thursday, January 24, 2019 10:56 AM
  • Actually i've got an partial answer by opening a case.

The version information is not in the managementpack documentation but on the site where you download the managementpack :-(

• System Center 1807 Operations Manager
      • 08/08/2018 - Update release - version 7.7.1136 for System Center 1807 Operations Manager - includes Linux agents with version 1.6.0-163
      • 08/08/2018 - Update release - version 7.7.1136 for System Center 1807 Operations Manager - includes UNIX agents with version 1.6.3-659

Still, this didn't explain the difference between a 'normal' agent and an oms agent but i've got that figured when i starting to use azure machines.

If you connect a linux machine to azure log analitics it requires an OMS agent, the normal agent cannot talk to azure. You still can upgrade OMS agents in scom to normal scom agents but it seems that eventually azure/oms reinstalles the oms agent if the agent is still known in log analytics so you should not touch OMS agents in your scom console.

Ronald

Thursday, April 18, 2019 10:48 AM

All replies

• Hello Roland,

There's an earlier similar post about the same topic, check the answer provided by Stoyan, maybe it could help clarifying some things.

Strange Linux Agent Version after Upgrade from SCOM 2016 to SCOM 1801

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Thursday, January 24, 2019 10:56 AM
  • Ok, so if i understand correctly is when i now install a new agent scom will install an oms agent?

But still how about the versions in 1807, see an upgrade on both versions in this screenshot, what will happen if i run this?

Will they be downgraded? 

Will the oms agent be replaced by a older scom agent?

Is this how it should be?

Ronald

Thursday, January 24, 2019 12:06 PM
  • I think I've already seen this behavior but didn't really investigate it. At least you know you're not alone!
    Thursday, January 24, 2019 12:15 PM
  • Actually i've got an partial answer by opening a case.

The version information is not in the managementpack documentation but on the site where you download the managementpack :-(

• System Center 1807 Operations Manager
      • 08/08/2018 - Update release - version 7.7.1136 for System Center 1807 Operations Manager - includes Linux agents with version 1.6.0-163
      • 08/08/2018 - Update release - version 7.7.1136 for System Center 1807 Operations Manager - includes UNIX agents with version 1.6.3-659

Still, this didn't explain the difference between a 'normal' agent and an oms agent but i've got that figured when i starting to use azure machines.

If you connect a linux machine to azure log analitics it requires an OMS agent, the normal agent cannot talk to azure. You still can upgrade OMS agents in scom to normal scom agents but it seems that eventually azure/oms reinstalles the oms agent if the agent is still known in log analytics so you should not touch OMS agents in your scom console.

Ronald

Thursday, April 18, 2019 10:48 AM