Mystery GAL entry sends to two users + public folders? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.  I have recently taken over an SBS2008 server after the previous admin left.  No documentation exists for the configuration.  Within the GAL there is a contact for faxes, which delivers messages to two users as well as a folder in Public Folders.  Now I have worked with Exchange a bit, but I'm no expert.  Within Outlook, this entry has an icon resembling a little yellow card or folder, with a little envelope on it.  I cannot for the life of me figure out how the previous guy set this up.  It's somehow different than the other distribution lists I have discovered.  Does anyone know what I'm talking about?  The point is this: I need to remove one of the recipients, and I cannot find a way to edit this contact.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist.

-JC

Monday, August 8, 2011 3:46 PM

Answers

• Hello Justin,

Small yellow card with an envelope on it in Outlook GAL points to a mail enabled public folder.
    I am not sure about SBS2008, but in the Exchange 2007 environment you can open the Exchange Management Console, then go to "Tools". There you will find the Public Folders Management Console where you can add column showing whether folders are mail enabled or not. Open the properties of that public folder (you know the name from your GAL) and check under "Mailflow Settings" -> "Delivery options" if there is some forwarding activated?
    I suppose there is a distribution group behind, so that an email sent to this particular public folder will be forwarded to additional recipients.

Have a good luck
    Eduard

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 7:47 AM

All replies

• If the wizards are used to create the groups in SBS, then it also asked if you want to create an archive. A corresponding public folder is then created and added as a member of the distribution group.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 10:41 PM
  • Well there's the mystery part- there's no actual distribution group anywhere that I can find for this.  The only clue to its existence is the entry in the GAL.  There is no group by this name, nor can I find any reference in the Exchange management console (GUI) on the server.

I simply have a user who wishes to be removed from receiving these messages, and I can't figure out how to remove her.  If it's not a dist group, what could it be?  I honestly don't know how they configured this.

Does that make any sense?  Thank you for taking the time.

-JC

Monday, August 8, 2011 11:35 PM
  • Hi Justin,

Here's the SBS support forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/sbsserver

You can put your question here for more detailed support.

Best Regards!
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:50 AM
  • Hello Justin,

Small yellow card with an envelope on it in Outlook GAL points to a mail enabled public folder.
    I am not sure about SBS2008, but in the Exchange 2007 environment you can open the Exchange Management Console, then go to "Tools". There you will find the Public Folders Management Console where you can add column showing whether folders are mail enabled or not. Open the properties of that public folder (you know the name from your GAL) and check under "Mailflow Settings" -> "Delivery options" if there is some forwarding activated?
    I suppose there is a distribution group behind, so that an email sent to this particular public folder will be forwarded to additional recipients.

Have a good luck
    Eduard

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 7:47 AM
  • Wow, that was buried in there... I think we are getting close.  First of all, thank you for responding.  You are exactly right- based on your hint, I can now see where the two email addresses for this folder are configured- right in the Public Folder properties like you said.  However, there is nothing configured under Mailflow - Delivery Options.

Is it possible there was a forwarding rule configured somewhere in Exchange?  Such that when a message arrives at this address it is copied to additional addresses?  I've poured over all the different areas and haven't found one, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.  Where would such a rule be configured?  I've looked in the various hub transport sections, and anywhere else that sounds logical...  as I stated earlier, the mystery to me is that no distribution group exists for this behavior.  I've even gone through all of the existing dist groups, in case there was a name mismatch.... no joy.  Any more ideas?  I'm all ears.  Thanks guys.

Edit:

Looking more closely at the incoming messages, they are addressed to three recipients... not just the public folder's address.  I suspect I'm casing my tail here, and the source of the messages is addressing them to all three right from the start (it's an eFax account).  I will confirm this and update this post.  Thank you Eduard for leading me in the right direction.  Stand by...

Edit:

That was exactly it.  The eFax account was configured with multiple recipients.  So although it is a mail-enabled public folder, we had no configuration on our end for forwarding the messages around.  They were simply sent to all three recipients from the beginning.  Thank you to all for helping me out.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 12:28 PM