none
Does SRT work with DPM2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Ok a bit of history first.

We've been using DPM2007 for a year or so without any problems except with regards to the SRT tool.  I tried using this to backup a couple of physical servers but was never able to get the restore boot CD to work - the network and storage drivers would never load no matter what I did.

I complained about this and the almost total lack of documentation or support for the SRT tool.  Despite receiving some emails from Prabu Ambravaneswaran on the subject after I complained, no help was ever forthcoming on getting the SRT tool to work.

No I've upgraded to DPM2010, I'm happy to see that the BMR solution has finally been incorporated into the core product but dismayed to see it only supports Server 2008 and above, as both of the servers I need to protect are 2003 and I can't afford to buy two more Windows Server licences right now.  I'm therefore left without any method of backing up these servers.

Does the old SRT tool from DPM2007 work with DPM2010?  If so, can anyone offer any help to get the restore CD working so that I can actually make use of it?

If all of this fails then I'm looking at either spending a load of money on an alternative BMR solution or on Server 2008 upgrades for these two boxes and all the hassle that goes along with that.

Toby
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 10:03 AM

Answers

• DPM uses inbox utilities to do BMR/System state backups. Unfortunately WIN2K3 inbox utilities are not having sufficient capabilities to be able to do better BMR/System state backups but these are available in WIN2K8 onwards. This because some of the OS limitiations. Hence WIN2K3 BMR experience is not improvable either with SRT or with NTBackup(which is used for system state backup today). But most of the issues are resolved in the OS WIN2K8 and later versions. At this moment I can suggest to use WIN2K3 with its system state backup, but this will mostly work with the same/similar hardware may not be with other types of hardware. Or upgrade to WIN2K8 or later version of OS as these issues have been fixed in OS version WIN2K8 BMR backup solution. Hope this helps you understand the backup experience improvement limitiations in WIN2K3 OS.
    Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 10:27 AM

All replies

•  

Hello Toby,

The SRT tool that is included with DPM 2007 and DPM 2010 for BMR solutions for Windows 2003 servers are identical - no changes have taken place in that code.  With that said, there is no relationship or hooks between the DPM SRT tool and the DPM 20xx server products.  The SRT tool is a standalone tool and can run in either dpm 2007 or dpm 2010 environments.   The mass storage drive and network driver issue you faced using SRT 2007 will not be any different if using the DPM 2010 SRT tool.  As a workaround, you can use use NTBACKUP to backup systemstate and critial data on the Windows 2003 servers to a network share on a Windows 2008 server that you are protecting with DPM, then have DPM backup the shares containing the .bkf files.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:04 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Oh I'm already backing up the system state directly with DPM on these specific machines, I'm just annoyed that, despite deploying two successive versions of DPM, I still have no functional BMR solution for my W2K3 boxes.

The SRT tool is a disaster and should never have been shipped in that state.  There's no documentation to speak of and no support whatsoever.  When I complained vociferously about the lack of support on the MS newsgroup, Prabu mailed me apologising and promising to help but no actual help with my problems was forthcoming, which says all you need to know about this "afterthought" of a product.

To then have the BMR solution built directly into the core product in the next version, but exclude any server prior to 2008 is just rubbing salt in the wound.

Toby
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:16 PM
  • DPM uses inbox utilities to do BMR/System state backups. Unfortunately WIN2K3 inbox utilities are not having sufficient capabilities to be able to do better BMR/System state backups but these are available in WIN2K8 onwards. This because some of the OS limitiations. Hence WIN2K3 BMR experience is not improvable either with SRT or with NTBackup(which is used for system state backup today). But most of the issues are resolved in the OS WIN2K8 and later versions. At this moment I can suggest to use WIN2K3 with its system state backup, but this will mostly work with the same/similar hardware may not be with other types of hardware. Or upgrade to WIN2K8 or later version of OS as these issues have been fixed in OS version WIN2K8 BMR backup solution. Hope this helps you understand the backup experience improvement limitiations in WIN2K3 OS.
    Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 10:27 AM