none
Moving Protection Groups (With replica/recovery volumes) to Another DPM. RRS feed

• Question

• I am checking and find there's a way to create manual replica and copy paste old replica data on new dpm server and then Sync it. Is there any way to copy recovery point volume as well to another DPM server?

I have stand up second DPM server and want to move some protection groups from DPM1 to DPM2 as DPM1 is overloaded. What I want to move some protection groups (Along with replica and recovery point volume) to DPM2 so that I can restore 30 days recovery points as well from DPM2.

Please advice me, is it possible or not.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 5:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

That is not possible.  Recovery points are VSS snapshots of the replica volume, and cannot be copied.  You can stop protection on DPM1 and retain the replica for recoveries.  On DPM2 - re-protect the data from scratch. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 8:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

That is not possible.  Recovery points are VSS snapshots of the replica volume, and cannot be copied.  You can stop protection on DPM1 and retain the replica for recoveries.  On DPM2 - re-protect the data from scratch. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 8:52 PM
  • Thanks for help Mike.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 8:58 PM