Vista memory limits RRS feed

• Question

• I am running clean install of vista ultimateRTM

On an Intel SE7505VB2 dual 2.66 GHz xeon with 4GB of PC2100 REG ECC

Vista is only reporting 3071 MB of ram instead of 4096 MB

What happened to my extra 1GB of ram???   any ideas?

Also does anyone know of the true cpu requirements of vista?

I have run several tools just for kicks, one of them at nvidias site. It reported my cpu type as non-optimal, replace with core 2 duo. Yet it reported the cpu speed performance rated at 5.2 ghz.

So I guess running a dual xeon 2.66 with HT on and 4GB ram and geforce 6600 agp 256mb not prperly equiped for the job. I don't know.

But I would at least like to read somewhere somrthing of the true specifications of this OS

Thursday, March 29, 2007 2:34 AM

All replies

• Thats nothing to do with Vista but because 32bit computing can only use 4GB of which some of that allowance is used by the memory on the motherboard, your graphics card and other things. Most PCs with 4GB of RAM on a 32bit Windows will get between 2.9-3.2GB of RAM showing up.

If you want to be able to use all 4GBs you need to use a 64bit version of Windows.

As for the CPU I haven't a clue why it says that.

Edit: I've just noticed the RAM thing has been answered in other threads below and probably in better detail as well.
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 9:20 AM
  • I have the same problem. As it is, 4gb is not a lot. Most new Mobo's allow 8gb max like mine!

I am running 4gb. System on bootup recognizes all 4gb where as Vista Ultimate x86 (32-bit) only shows 2.9gb. where the Vista x64 (64-bit) notices over 4gb, which was around 4.3gb memory.

I think this is complete BS since 32-bit versions of XP are running 4gb or higher and windows notices it.

So far Vista is a complete flop!!!!
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 4:29 PM
  • I have the same problem. At least I am not the only one, I thought one of my DIMMS were bad. Here is the system I built,

Core 2 extreeme QX9650

Intel dx38bt mobo

4gb of corsair DDR3 1333mhz 9,9,9,24 1.7v 4x1gb dimms(board supports 8gb)

2x wd raptor 150gb in raid0

antec 1000W ps

MSI ati radeon 3870X2OC <----(just 1 for now)

Windows vista ultimate

my bios is reading all 4gb but the os only reads 2.99

WE NEED A PATCH FOR 32bit VISTA TO READ ALL MEMORY INSTALLED ! ! !

The operating system looks nice but there are definetaly some kinks to be worked out.

I hope someone is listening. . . .  

Friday, March 21, 2008 7:54 PM
  • Since the original I have upgraded MB to 64-bit. Still dual socket and Intel has option in bios to use all 4gb to OS. So check your bios strings. Also it may only be an option on workstation / server class MB's.
    U.S. Army Airborne! The only way to fly
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 6:38 PM