SharePoint Workflow Manager Topolgy RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

We are going to migrate to SP 2019, and we will use existing workflows for a while, and later we will use Nintex workflows. So, my question is do we need to install SP Workflow manager on separate servers? Or would it be OK to install it on the same server as SharePoint installed? 

Thank YOu

Monday, June 10, 2019 2:54 AM

Answers

• Sorry, forgot to reply...

I wouldn't implement Workflow Manager if at all possible. I'd look into Microsoft Flow + Data Management Gateway if I had a choice (this requires Flow P1 licensing).

Otherwise, I'd implement the 3-node farm and not on the SharePoint servers. You can scale up the WFM servers themselves as your needs grow.

SharePoint 2013 workflows have had only very minor changes between 2013 and 2019. They're just a deprecated technology, at this point.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, June 13, 2019 4:57 AM

All replies

• You can install on the same server, though it isn't recommended. If you do, install it on one of the App servers.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, June 10, 2019 5:30 AM
  • Trevor, how dow we decide for a Workflow Manager Farm? We can do one, three, or five servers WFM farms. I know that five servers would be overkill for us, but I'm not sure one would be enough. Do I count in the amount of workflows to make a decision? 

Also, another topic that I said Nintex because MS Flow has some limitations(30 days Run duration), and I got an impression that SP Designer won't be available. However, SP Designer 2013 is available in SP 2019 until 2026. So, we can create our new workflows in SP Designer 2013. Do you know any limitations in SPD 2013 Workflows in SP 2019? 

Thank You

John

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 1:40 AM
  • Anyone? 
    Thursday, June 13, 2019 3:30 AM
  • Sorry, forgot to reply...

I wouldn't implement Workflow Manager if at all possible. I'd look into Microsoft Flow + Data Management Gateway if I had a choice (this requires Flow P1 licensing).

Otherwise, I'd implement the 3-node farm and not on the SharePoint servers. You can scale up the WFM servers themselves as your needs grow.

SharePoint 2013 workflows have had only very minor changes between 2013 and 2019. They're just a deprecated technology, at this point.

Trevor Seward

Thursday, June 13, 2019 4:57 AM

• Hi John_35,

If trevor's reply helps you, please remember to mark it as an answer, it will be beneficial to others in the community who meet this similar issue in the future. 

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, June 13, 2019 8:51 AM
  • Hi John_35,

If Trevor's reply helps you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 6:39 AM