Changing Power button default to "Restart" RRS feed

• Question

• I've searched the 'Net and this forum and cannot find a way to change the default option on the Power/Shutdown button.
    I'm tired of scrolling up the shutdown options list whenever I press my power button
    Under Control Panel > Power Options, I'm given the options of Shutdown, Sleep, or Do Nothing
    I restart my computer at least 10 times more often than just shutting down.
    How do you add this option to the list?
    barring that; how do you change the command under shutdown to possibly include -r (reboot)

ie. shutdown -r now

Bill
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:01 PM

Answers

• Bill

OK, I did a lot of research on this issue.

I tracked down every registry value associated with that button, power options, and policies using the Group Policy Editor. I also tried some undocumented ways to change how that button works with the same results.

There just isn't any way that I can find to get that particular button to perform a restart.

The button is hard coded with Sleep, Hibernate or Shutdown as the only options.

The only way you can accomplish this is to possibly use a third party replacement for the Start Menu.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Saturday, April 19, 2008 4:31 PM

All replies

• Bill

The best solution for this problem would be to simply create a shortcut to restart the system.

Right click the Desktop and select New Shortcut. In the Location box, type the following.

shutdown -r -t 01

Click Next and name the shortcut 'Restart'.

Now, you can place the shortcut in a convenient location. If you want it to be a 'one click' item, place it in the Quick Launch toolbar, or.....?

Update:

The previous command is what I normally use for this restart shortcut, it gives you a one minute delay before the restart. If you want the command to be instantaneous, just change the 1 (one) to a 0 (zero) like this:.

shutdown -r -t 0

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, April 17, 2008 3:51 PM
  • Is there no other way to change this?
    I don't like it to have all sorts of shortcuts wherever, so is there a registry tweak of some kind with which you can also change this? 
    I've read something about a regtweak for XP, but that one didn't work in vista.
    I hope you can help me with this one.

Thank in advance
    Thursday, April 17, 2008 7:38 PM
  • There is no way, that I'm aware of, to change the shutdown button to a restart button?

I will dive deeper into this and try to find a way to do this today.

Keep an eye on this thread.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Friday, April 18, 2008 2:59 PM
  • Bill

OK, I did a lot of research on this issue.

I tracked down every registry value associated with that button, power options, and policies using the Group Policy Editor. I also tried some undocumented ways to change how that button works with the same results.

There just isn't any way that I can find to get that particular button to perform a restart.

The button is hard coded with Sleep, Hibernate or Shutdown as the only options.

The only way you can accomplish this is to possibly use a third party replacement for the Start Menu.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Saturday, April 19, 2008 4:31 PM
  • Yeah, this is one of my biggest gripes in Server 2008 and Vista. The stuff you really use everyday is hidden under more layers than XP and 2003.

No server in the world is normally shutdown, but we restart them regularly.

Same goes true for the idiotic "Apply updates and shutdown." NO ONE shutsdown after updates, you need to see if the updates killed your system.

I've had to answer lots of calls from newbie LAN administrators that are in a panic because their system went off.

More and more "new features" of Vista and 2008 are Newbie designed, but it's IT people that usually managed. We don't want features hidden from us.

Windows should have a desktop choice under a new profile start."Show Everything" or "Show Nothing" choice.

Rant over for now.

Saturday, June 7, 2008 6:16 PM
  • Hey they fixed this in Server 2008R2, you can not chang ehte default behavior of the power button, so it can be Log Off, or Reset.

Yeah!

Now if they could get rid of the "Apply Updates and Shutdown."
    Monday, January 25, 2010 7:16 PM