Reimaging and MAK Activation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Suppose I have MAK key which can activate 1000 clients.

I have activated 900 machines with that key using custom task in OSD TS or VAMT.

My doubt is, what will happen to license count If I reimage 500 clients.

Also, what will happen if I use KMS instead of MAK.

Please help.

Regards,
    Amit Anand
    Friday, March 5, 2010 11:31 AM

Answers

• Hello Amit,
    You would have call to get more activations added to your MAK key, each activation counts as one.

KMS doesn't track the total number of activations.
    Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 9:24 PM
  • Hello Amit,
    Your activation count would increase to 1500, not your license count.  You would be asked to increase the number of activations on your MAK key not the number of licenses on your agreement.

KMS would probably be  better solution for your scenario.
    Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, March 8, 2010 6:43 PM

All replies

• Hello Amit,
    You would have call to get more activations added to your MAK key, each activation counts as one.

KMS doesn't track the total number of activations.
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 9:24 PM
  • Hi Darrell,

Please let me know if I am wrong...

If Total no of machines= 1000 (MAK key with limit of 1000 Activation) and I have activated 1000 clients.

If I reimage (Reinstall through SCCM OSD) 500 clients, what would happen to my MAK key activation count.??

Should I call Microsoft to add additional 500 activation to my MAK key?? If that is the case, my License count will increase to 1500??

whereas, total no of clients will be just 1000.

What would be ideal activation suited for my requirement.? KMS or MAK.?

Please help.
    Regards,
    Amit
    Monday, March 8, 2010 5:13 AM
  • Hello Amit,
    Your activation count would increase to 1500, not your license count.  You would be asked to increase the number of activations on your MAK key not the number of licenses on your agreement.

KMS would probably be  better solution for your scenario.
    Monday, March 8, 2010 6:43 PM