Sequencing file with different license RRS feed

• Question

• I have a grade book application that I sequence on a WinXP machine for Win 7 clients.  The application is licensed per building such that a secondary building has one license and an elementary building has another license.  In a normal install we simply apply the license at the beginning of the install.   When I sequence this application I am able to build a package with an OSD for one building just fine.  I can then import the application and the application work great for clients at that building.   

After starting over and creating another package with licensing information from another building lets say an elementary building this time.  I now have a new package.  I try to import the package up to the Application Management Server I am having no luck because the new package has exactly the same OSD as the package that is already sitting there.  

Question:   Is there a way to deploy two alike applications from the same Application Management Server or do I need to start up another one?

Looking for answers

Friday, March 18, 2011 2:51 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Alter the Version and the OSD-file name - apart from the obvious of having a unique 8.3 asset directory and a unique package name 
    /Znack
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 3:58 PM
  • As mentioned before, your OSD versions and names are the same.  You can see this a lot with readme shortcuts all set to 1.0.0.  In your case just simply add another digit to the version number.  So if the version is 5.1.0 simply make it 5.1.0.1 and the other one 5.1.0.2

To change the version numbers..... during the sequencing wizard, you are presented with a list of your applications and their shortcuts and file types, simply right click one in the left hand pane and choose edit.  You'll see the number to change in there.

• Proposed as answer by Cbragg Tuesday, March 22, 2011 5:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:24 PM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 5:16 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Alter the Version and the OSD-file name - apart from the obvious of having a unique 8.3 asset directory and a unique package name 
    /Znack
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 3:58 PM
  • Please excuse my ignorance, can you send me a link with for some documentation on how to alter the verson and the OSD-file name.  I am not sure if i need to start with a fresh install on the sequencer or not.  I would appreicate it .   Thanks.
    Van R. Johnson
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 3:18 PM
  • try the App-V 4.6 SP1 sequencing guide: http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/7/8/F784A197-73BE-48FF-83DA-4102C05A6D44/App-V/App-V%204.6%20Service%20Pack%201%20Sequencing%20Guide.docx
    This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 3:26 PM
  • As mentioned before, your OSD versions and names are the same.  You can see this a lot with readme shortcuts all set to 1.0.0.  In your case just simply add another digit to the version number.  So if the version is 5.1.0 simply make it 5.1.0.1 and the other one 5.1.0.2

To change the version numbers..... during the sequencing wizard, you are presented with a list of your applications and their shortcuts and file types, simply right click one in the left hand pane and choose edit.  You'll see the number to change in there.

• Proposed as answer by Cbragg Tuesday, March 22, 2011 5:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:24 PM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 5:16 PM
  • I will need to edit the OSD file name and the version name when I update the original package.  Am I thinking correctly or do I need to build an entire new package?

Van R. Johnson
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 3:29 PM
  • If you only need to replace a single file or registry value within a package (assuming that the licensing information is stored like that) you could use scripting to make the change at launch. This way you can use a single package instead of having to create multiple.
    This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 3:32 PM
  • I tried to find the licensing information in the registry files but they are not listed there.  So I suppose I need to update the original package and make changes to the OSD and the Version.

Van R. Johnson
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:50 PM
  • If you want to update OSD name/versions in an existing package, the most easiest way is to open for upgrade and relauch the sequencing wizard from the tools menu, skip past the monitoring stages etc until you get to your applications screen again.  Right click your application and select edit.  You can change the names and versions in there.
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 11:50 AM