I get an error code 80070005 with event id 4609 when i try to start COM+ Event system service RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

After a failed installation of Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2870699) and an unexpected shutdown of my laptop, COM+ Event System service is not able to start.My environment is Windows 7 x64.

When i start my laptop i get several errors. For example i can not check for updates, network connection seems not connected in task bar, although i am able to connect to the internet. Also i get "fail to get record device" when i try to open my communication suite and several other errors.

I believe that all these errors are derived from the COM+ Event System service which is stopped. When i try to start this service i get the following event in event viewer with eventid 4609:

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing.  HRESULT was 80070005 from line 200 of d:\w7rtm\com\complus\src\events\tier2\service.cpp.  This warning may be expected if the computer is low on resources.  If the computer is not low on resources, and these warnings persist, it may indicate a problem in the COM+ Event System.”

My computer is not low on resources. I have compared the registries under the path: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EventSystem" with a working machine and everything is ok.

I also checked the registry under the path "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole" and the folder"Instrumentation" is missing in comparison to a working machine.

Could this mean that some registries are corrupted? How can overcome this problem without formatting my laptop?

Thank you in advance,

Pinelopi

Sunday, October 13, 2013 1:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

We could try the following suggestions:

suggestion one: System Restore

1. open System Restore by clicking the start button. In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore.

2. Follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point and restore your computer.

suggestion two: Repair or reinstall Internet Explorer in Windows

suggestion three: Run SFC command to repair

1. Right cmd.exe and run as Administrator.

2. Type sfc /scannow and press enter, this may take a little bit time to finish.

3. When the scan is complete, you will see some message.

4. When done, close the command prompt.

5. Restart the computer.

6. Check and confirm the problem.

Best regards,

Karen Hu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Edited by Karen Hu Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:53 AM update
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, October 22, 2013 2:04 AM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:52 AM