none
No new MS security updates found on server

Question

• Hi,

We patch servers(windows 2008R2, 2012 R2) monthly with latest security patches(Mostly Monthly Rollup patch).

From past two months, we haven't received any patch (Rollup patch) after clicking check for updates.

Can someone help me in understanding what changed after DEC 2017?

We are not using WSUS for updates.

Steps we follow for patching.

Login to server

Goto windows updates-> Check for updates-> Install important updates

Reboot server after installation.

Please let me know in case of any information required.

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 7:29 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

>>we haven't received any patch (Rollup patch) after clicking check for updates.

Are there any error messages?

Also ,please check the windows update log(C:\Windows\windowsupdate.log) to see if there is any related information.

If possible, please take a screenshot for the error and upload the images in our forum directly so that I can do further analysis based on the error.

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

For your reference:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012982/the-processor-is-not-supported-together-with-the-windows-version-that

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:28 AM
  • Hi, i'm having the same thing, except we are using WSUS. its only a handful of 2008r2 servers (not all of them, some are fine) they show in WSUS correctly and the update log file shows no errors, just that it checked in and there are no updates available. Pointing them out to MS updates does the same thing, no updates available. all of the machines not updating got DEC patches ok and have the reg key for the JAN patching/meltdown AV check in place and have up to date AV.

We have tried manually patching a couple of them and they will install the FEB patches manually, but then wont show any other patches to install either (.net or office)

cheers

tony

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 9:21 PM
  • Hi, i'm having the same thing, except we are using WSUS. its only a handful of 2008r2 servers (not all of them, some are fine) they show in WSUS correctly and the update log file shows no errors, just that it checked in and there are no updates available. Pointing them out to MS updates does the same thing, no updates available. all of the machines not updating got DEC patches ok and have the reg key for the JAN patching/meltdown AV check in place and have up to date AV.

We have tried manually patching a couple of them and they will install the FEB patches manually, but then wont show any other patches to install either (.net or office)

cheers

tony

I'd start a new thread.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 9:34 PM
  • done
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 12:55 AM
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 1:53 AM
  • Hi,

We patch servers(windows 2008R2, 2012 R2) monthly with latest security patches(Mostly Monthly Rollup patch).

From past two months, we haven't received any patch (Rollup patch) after clicking check for updates.

Can someone help me in understanding what changed after DEC 2017?

We are not using WSUS for updates.

Steps we follow for patching.

Login to server

Goto windows updates-> Check for updates-> Install important updates

Reboot server after installation.

Please let me know in case of any information required.

Thanks in advance

You may need to add the key mentioned here then updates would show up.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4072699/january-3-2018-windows-security-updates-and-antivirus-software

If it doesn't already exist then add a new key to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    named
    QualityCompat
    then within QualityCompat key add a new REG_DWORD named
    cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc
    and set the value to 0 (zero)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 2:21 AM
  • Hey, my version of this issue was resolved by running the symantec cleanwipe tool on the server. The server in question use to have SEP as the AV, it was removed and replaced with another product over a year ago. The residual files havent been an issue until now with the JAN/FEB patches, something in the patch must get hung up on the last files. Fully removing them allowed the server to now get the patches like normal. I would look at any previous AV installed on the server and see if it has left residual files behind

hope this helps

tony

Friday, March 2, 2018 2:40 AM
  • Found a symanted folder on a server...asked a coworker about it and they said we had it yearssss ago. Ran the cleanwipe tool and it fixed the issue.

Thank you!

Manny

Friday, June 29, 2018 7:14 PM
  • Exactly my issue! Thanks! Symantec CleanWipe fixed it.

• Edited by GiegaV Wednesday, July 11, 2018 2:13 PM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 2:12 PM