Outlook 2016 - Very Specific Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All!

I have a somewhat odd, very specific question that I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out with.  I am trying to find a solution to meet the following criteria.

Requirements:
    - Have an add-on of some kind that plugs in to Outlook 2016 to store emails (I don't want them actually saved on Exchange)
    - Have this add-on, or whatever the solution might be, able to sync to an iPhone/iPad
    - Have changes made, (Folders created/deleted, emails moved, etc), sync back and forth from both iOS and Outlook

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Monday, February 6, 2017 4:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

- Have an add-on of some kind that plugs in to Outlook 2016 to store emails (I don't want them actually saved on Exchange)

What's the exact meaning about not saved on Exchange? If you are using an Exchange mailbox, all mailbox data should be saved in Exchange server. Then all mail clients such as Outlook, Mail app in Mobile devices etc. would sync and download mailbox data from Exchange side.

Maybe you can share the purpose of removing all data from Exchange side, we can consider other method as a workaround.

- Have this add-on, or whatever the solution might be, able to sync to an iPhone/iPad

You can consider to use the Outlook for iOS app to sync mailbox data:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Set-up-email-in-Outlook-for-iOS-mobile-app-b2de2161-cc1d-49ef-9ef9-81acd1c8e234

- Have changes made, (Folders created/deleted, emails moved, etc), sync back and forth from both iOS and Outlook

The changes in Outlook and iOS would sync back to Exchange mailbox.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 8:10 AM
  • In my environment, I have 1 user, (Of about 150), whose mailbox is over 10% of my total data store size.  I'd like to have a storage solution for this user in place that's outside of the Exchange data store, making it easier to backup and maintain for that one user.

I need something that connects to Outlook so they can drag and drop emails like they'd normally be able to when at their computer.  But I need the set of folders, or whatever is used, also able to sync over to an iPad/iPhone.

I've used the Outlook for iOS app for my email for a while now, and I like it, but it only sync's the mailbox and folders within the mailbox to the iPhone.  It doesn't sync the Online Archive, which is a tad annoying.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 2:47 PM
  • Anyone have any insight on this?

I found one option, but it creates a .PST on the local machine, and will only sync the data/changes over to the phone manually, and while they are on the same WiFi/network.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 4:08 PM
  • Hi,

If you don't want to sync the mailbox data to Online Archive mailbox, maybe we can consider to use the local Outlook Archive to backup the mailbox data to local PST file.

For more information about the Outlook Archive, please refer to:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2720581/how-to-archive-email-in-outlook-2010

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, February 19, 2017 2:24 PM