Making a PE of XP RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, folks! Noob here.

I've seem to have gotten lost...

I'm looking for help on a bare-bones installation of Windows, and have come across several links that have somehow led me here. Let me first explain what I'm trying to do:

I'm aiming to have a slimmed down version of windows installed in a virtual environment. I don't want to confuse the issue, but in case some are wondering why, I'm using a Mac with an installation of Parallels. I need to run Windows to us MS Office for the company data base which does not recognize the OSX environment. Namely the manipulation and working of files such as Word, Excel, and Access --this is all I need Windows for, nothing more, nothing less. I have a registered version of Windows XP, and am looking run a PE version of this. Again, I don't need a full install because I'm trying to conserve disk space and resources. 

NOTE: I do NOT want a bootable disk. This is to be used as a normal environment when working with certain Windows MS Office files.

Can anyone point me to the right link as to what I need and where i need to start?

Thanks for your time!

Monday, October 7, 2013 1:47 PM

Answers

• Thats not what WinPE is. It is a Preinstallation Environment. It only has enough services and components to attach to a network and run some setup and diagnostic routines. there is no GUI, no Explorer, no concept of a user. I don't know of anyone who's tried to get Office running on it, it would probably be very difficult. Besides, it automatically reboots after 24 hours (or 72, I forget which), to prevent people from using it as a free OS.

The only thing I know of to strip down XP installs to remove components is nLite. Not to say that's all there is, just that's all I know of.

http://www.nliteos.com/guide/index.html

Monday, October 7, 2013 2:47 PM

All replies

• Thats not what WinPE is. It is a Preinstallation Environment. It only has enough services and components to attach to a network and run some setup and diagnostic routines. there is no GUI, no Explorer, no concept of a user. I don't know of anyone who's tried to get Office running on it, it would probably be very difficult. Besides, it automatically reboots after 24 hours (or 72, I forget which), to prevent people from using it as a free OS.

The only thing I know of to strip down XP installs to remove components is nLite. Not to say that's all there is, just that's all I know of.

http://www.nliteos.com/guide/index.html

Monday, October 7, 2013 2:47 PM
  • Thanks, Joe!

nLite it is!! Really appreciate the help -that could have been bad...

cheers!

Monday, October 7, 2013 6:17 PM