Exchange 2003 SP2 event logs incomplete RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Every Exchange log entry in the application logs says something very similar to the below message:

The description for Event ID ( 1216 ) in Source ( MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (servername), 50, 34.

I am unable to view the details of any Exchange log entry in the list.  Why is this happening and can it be fixed?  I really need to be able to diagnose some of the Exchange errors and warning I am receiving.  Logs for other apps and such I am able to read with no problem.  Thanks in advance.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 2:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

Do you try to open a saved event log?

If yes, please see this KB:

Detailed Usage of the Event Viewer /AUXSOURCE Switch Option

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312216

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Frank Wang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 10, 2012 7:29 AM
  • No...I'm just viewing the regular application log within event viewer.  I don't have any logs saved.
    Friday, February 10, 2012 3:37 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Do you mean you view the application log within event viewer on the Exchange 2003 server?

How many Exchange 2003 server do you have?

Frank Wang

Monday, February 13, 2012 7:31 AM
  • Yes...when I check the regular application log in the event viewer all of my Exchange events are very similar to what I posted above.  I can't get a description for anything.  I usually just grab the event id and go to Google to figure out what it means.  We have one Exchange server. 
    Monday, February 13, 2012 1:41 PM
  • Hi Chris,

It looks like the required dll files to show up the event description are missing.

Please run the Exbpa to do a Health Check first.

After that, please backup your Exchange server, then try to reinstall the Exchange server:

How to Reinstall Exchange 2003 over a Damaged Installation

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997239(v=exchg.65).aspx

Frank Wang

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:39 AM
  • Ok, ran the health check with very few minor issues showing up but nothing to be concerned with.  Is it possbile to just replace or re-register the DLL files you mentioned?  If I do a repair install how much downtime time can I expect?  Thanks for your help!

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Hi Chris,

I would suggest you do a repair installation.

If you have 2 Exchange servers, you can compare the Registry, after that, import the keys from working server to the problematic one.

Frank Wang

Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:36 AM
  • Ok...I have never performed a repair install on Exchange before.  Will any reconfiguration need to take place and how much downtime can I expect?  Thanks.
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:48 PM