Windows XP SP3 cached domain user credentials are not updating after password change over VPN RRS feed

• Question

• We have a bunch of sales people who stay on the road indefinitely, using Windows XP SP3 domain joined laptops.  

When they change their domain user password, while connected through the VPN, the cached credentials are not updating locally on their laptops.  This causes issues at their next Windows login, where they have to use their prior password to gain access to the OS.  Then when they connect through the VPN client, they have to use their new password.  We have already tried Microsoft KB 829652 (which was rolled up with SP3 anyways).

I have found several work arounds, but I would like to attack the root cause.

Thursday, January 6, 2011 3:37 PM

Answers

• You have to recache the credentials if you change the password. You may have to get the user to log in locally. Then connect to VPN. Once connected to vpn, have them do a run as on any program...I usually use notepad or internet explorer (this will cache their credentials with the updated password.).
    Tuesday, April 1, 2014 1:28 PM