Deleting personal folder. RRS feed

• Question

• If the user deletes(Shift+Del) a personal folder in outlook where is it stored temporarily?

I am using Windows and i created a test folder in my inbox. I deleted that folder and i got a popup " Move "this folder" to your deleted items folder". I clicked yes and when i went to deleted items it was empty. I even clicked on "Recover items recently removed from this folder" but it was not showing me that folder. 

Friday, October 18, 2019 1:45 PM

All replies

• Expand your deleted items folder and check. I tested this my outlook.

Saturday, October 19, 2019 11:48 AM
  • Hi,

If you use Shift + Delete, it will permanently delete your folder and cannot be recovered.

If you simply use Delete, it will be deleted but shown under the Deleted Items folder.

More information here:

Need to recover a deleted folder in Outlook 2013, Outlook 2016, or Outlook for Office 365?    You can recover a deleted folder (with all of its messages) if it's still in your Deleted Items folder —See How. Unfortunately, you can't recover a folder that's been permanently deleted. But you can use the steps in this topic to recover messages from the from the folder you deleted.

Reference:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/recover-deleted-items-in-outlook-for-windows-49e81f3c-c8f4-4426-a0b9-c0fd751d48ce

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Saturday, October 19, 2019 12:04 PM
  • Hi,

Just as Leon said, unlike messages, once you permanently delete a folder (Shift + Delete), it cannot be recovered anymore so you can't find it in under Recover items recently removed from this folder. 

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 21, 2019 6:26 AM
  • Hi,

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 8:06 AM
  • Hi,

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information. This will make answer searching in the forum easier!

Request/Expectation:

If the user deletes(Shift+Del) a personal folder in outlook where is it stored temporarily?

Solution Summary:

If you use Shift + Delete, it will permanently delete your folder and cannot be recovered.

If you simply use Delete, it will be deleted but shown under the Deleted Items folder.

Reference Links:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/recover-deleted-items-in-outlook-for-windows-49e81f3c-c8f4-4426-a0b9-c0fd751d48ce

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:49 AM