Can I Run Outlook Express or Similar E-mail Program on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a new laptop with Windows 7 and hate the email program Live Windows!!  I have 3 other computers , 2 with older versions of Windows and 1 newer laptop with Vista (which I also don't like and therefore got new computer with Windows 7).  I thought I would like 7 but actually prefer XP.
    I am a senior citizen who still works and have a home office.  All my computers use Outlook or Outlook Express and I am very comfortable with these email programs and the ease of using them.  This Windows Live program is a pain for me.  I have looked at multiple places trying to find Outlook Express to download but have been unsuccessful.

Can anyone tell me....can I put this program on Windows 7 and if, so, where can I find the download?

PLEASE .... SOMEONE OUT THERE.....HELP THIS OLD GIRL "GET HER GROOVE"......THANKS SO MUCH!!

Saturday, February 27, 2010 11:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Nanny

I understand your frustration, but there is no supported way to install Outlook Express in Windows 7.

There may be other basic email programs, that are similar to OE out there, that are compatible with Windows 7. Try using your favorite search engine to find these.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 8:46 AM
  • Hi Nanny

If you really need windows mail, there's a way to enable or reinstate it in windows 7. Following are a link on how to enable windows mail in windows 7, but before you do that, you need to download the take owner ship short cut, which is sort of a registry or owner ship editor. Here's the link just follow the steps and you should be good to go
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 1:06 PM
    Answerer
  • Outlook is available for Windows 7.
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:55 PM
  • Office Outlook is available for Windows 7, but it costs about $300.

Please note that Windows Live Mail is the replacement for Outlook Express (XP) and Windows Mail (Vista).  It is built from the same system, works the same way, and looks the same way.  It does not require you to use Windows Live Mail service, nor every sign-in to Windows Live.  It doesn't even ask you to do those things.  The name change is only required because of European Union legal pressure.

I urge you, please give Windows Live Mail a try. You can use it with your Gmail, Comcast, Yahoo, whatever email you want.  Remember, the name change means nothing, and you will never be asked to sign-in to a Windows Live account.

Enjoy!

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Monday, March 1, 2010 8:34 PM
  • The OP mentioned Outlook in the first post that is why I pointed out that is available for Windows 7.

It can be purchased separately for $80 to $100 dollars.
    Monday, March 1, 2010 8:59 PM
  • You can download Windows Live Mail which is included in Windows Live Essentials via the following link:

http://download.live.com/

You can also check related information about it:

http://download.live.com/wlmail

Hope this helps!
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:14 AM
  • Hello Daniel...thank you for the information.  I have figured out Windows Live to some degree and have it set up with hotmail which I don't want to do.  I have verizon as my email account on my other computers.  I just have to get some help in settingup the Windows Live email with verizon instead of hotmail.  Wish me luck :)
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:34 AM
  • Lead3...thanks so much for the info.

All replies

• Hi Nanny

I understand your frustration, but there is no supported way to install Outlook Express in Windows 7.

There may be other basic email programs, that are similar to OE out there, that are compatible with Windows 7. Try using your favorite search engine to find these.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 8:46 AM
  • Hi Nanny

If you really need windows mail, there's a way to enable or reinstate it in windows 7. Following are a link on how to enable windows mail in windows 7, but before you do that, you need to download the take owner ship short cut, which is sort of a registry or owner ship editor. Here's the link just follow the steps and you should be good to go
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 1:06 PM
    Answerer
  • Outlook is available for Windows 7.
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:55 PM
  • Office Outlook is available for Windows 7, but it costs about $300.

Please note that Windows Live Mail is the replacement for Outlook Express (XP) and Windows Mail (Vista).  It is built from the same system, works the same way, and looks the same way.  It does not require you to use Windows Live Mail service, nor every sign-in to Windows Live.  It doesn't even ask you to do those things.  The name change is only required because of European Union legal pressure.

I urge you, please give Windows Live Mail a try. You can use it with your Gmail, Comcast, Yahoo, whatever email you want.  Remember, the name change means nothing, and you will never be asked to sign-in to a Windows Live account.

Enjoy!

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Monday, March 1, 2010 8:34 PM
  • The OP mentioned Outlook in the first post that is why I pointed out that is available for Windows 7.

It can be purchased separately for $80 to $100 dollars.
    Monday, March 1, 2010 8:59 PM
  • You can download Windows Live Mail which is included in Windows Live Essentials via the following link:

http://download.live.com/

You can also check related information about it:

http://download.live.com/wlmail

Hope this helps!
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:14 AM
  • Ronnie...thank you for your response.  I am just frustrated after purchasing 3 new computers in the last year, because I basically don't know what I'm doing.  I have managed yto set up Windows Live Hotmail....I can figure out how to use this as it is similar to Outlook Express, but I need to find out how to set up Windows Live using my verizon emal account.  I need to access my email from various computers and want to keep it consolidated.  I guess I need to call Verizon to help me out.

Thanks again for your response. :)
    Pat
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:32 AM
  • Hello Daniel...thank you for the information.  I have figured out Windows Live to some degree and have it set up with hotmail which I don't want to do.  I have verizon as my email account on my other computers.  I just have to get some help in settingup the Windows Live email with verizon instead of hotmail.  Wish me luck :)
  • Lead3...thanks so much for the info.
  • Shawn...thanks so much for the information.  I can understand most of what you are saying.  I use verizon for my email on my other 4 computers and am able to access that account from all of them.  I have been able to set up Windows Live with hotmail which I don't want. I need to figure out how to get verizon set up with my Windows Live mail and I'll be good to go. 

Can you tell me if there is any other way to set up my account other than calling my internet provider (Verizon)?

Thanks so much for your help.

Pat  (Nanny Dalmatian)
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:36 AM
  • Thanks so much Lead3....this may be just the answer for me.

Pat (Nanny Dalmatian)
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:38 AM

Hi Nanny hope you get your issue sorted out. Just for your info, yesterday i went to a customer place and install win mail on his win 7 rig as well as import, address book, message from outlook express 6 to windows mail. All went well, infact the setting and config from win mail menu is similar as OE
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 6:58 AM
    Answerer