none
AAD Connect: Impact of not synchronizing ExtensionAttributes

Question

• Hello, 

We are looking to roll out SharePoint Online features for a larger number of users (thousands). 
    We found the following article explaining in detail which AD attributes should be synced to Azure AD for use of SharePoint Online: 
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/active-directory-aadconnectsync-attributes-synchronized/#sharepoint-online 

We did not understand very well why the different Exchange ExtensionAttribute1-15 attributes are required for SharePoint Online. 
    Since different departments of our company have stored privacy concerned data in those attributes, we feel more likely to deselect them from sync. 

However, before deciding to not synchronize these attributes, we would like to understand better the exact impact it has on the SharePoint Online role. 
    Can anyone explain in which way the ExtensionAttributeXX values are used by O365, and why they must be synchronized? 
    What features or integration would break if the attributes are deselected from synchronization? 

Thanks a lot!

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 10:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Bart Billiet,

With Azure AD Sync, you can remove individual attributes from being synchronized.

If certain attributes are removed, some services might not behave as expected. The affected attributes are listed with their Active Directory LDAP name in the article below.

Install the Azure Active Directory Sync Service.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn757602.aspx

ExtensionAttribute is used for custom attribute that is defined in user properties in SharePoint online. If you do not define custom attribute in SharePoint online, you do not sync these extensionattributes.

For more detailed information, you could refer to the article below.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn764938.aspx

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 6, 2016 3:22 PM
  • Hello Sara, 

I was looking at the "Manager User Properties" section in the SharePoint Admin Center. 
    (_layouts/15/tenantprofileadmin/MgrProperty.aspx?ProfileType=User)

However, I don't see any references here to the use of ExtensionAttributes? 
    Where exactly could I see what the ExtensionAttributes are mapped on to in SharePoint Online User Profiles? 

Thanks a lot!

Kind regards, 

Bart Billiet

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 5:41 PM
  • Hi Bart Billiet,

Sorry for giving you confusion by my description in my last post.

The ExtensionAttributes are the attributes which will be exported to the Azure AD. You can sync the user properties from SharePoint online to these ExtensionAttributes in Azure AD attributes if you do not find other proper Azure AD attributes to sync.

For more detailed information,you could refer to the article below.

Attributes synchronized to Azure Active Directory.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn764938.aspx

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 1:16 AM
  • Hello, 

"You can sync the user properties from SharePoint online to these ExtensionAttributs in Azure AD attributes if you do not find other proper Azure AD attributes to sync."

I understand that AAD Connect can sync these attributes from AD to AAD, but I'm trying to find out where in the User Profiles of SharePoint we can actually see these extensionAttributes. 

Where exactly can it be configured that SharePoint Online can use the ExtensionAttributes in AzureAD? 
    How would I configure this in the SharePoint Admin Center? 

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 9:37 PM
  • Hi Bart Billiet,

There is no extensionAttributes for user properties in user profile service in SharePoint online.

The extensionAttributes exists in Azure AD.

There is an example that how to sync user profile between SharePoint online and Azure AD.

Synchronizing Office 365 User Profiles with Azure AD.

http://blog.intucio.com/blog/synchronizing-microsoft-azure-active-directory-extension-attributes-with-sharepoint-online-user-profile-properties

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 3:49 AM
  • Hi Bart Billiet,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 9:23 AM