SCVMM Best Practices recommendation RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running a 2-node cluster of Hyper-V on Windows 2008R2 with an Equallogic SAN shared between the two.  Using Cluster Shared Volumes and Failover Cluster.  I've created a SCVMM server that is one of the virtual machines on this setup.  I did a straightforward install, no high availability setup.  The virtual machine that SCVMM is installed on, was added to the Failover Cluster as a virtual machine.  I remember reading somewhere where this is NOT a good idea.  Can anyone elaborate on the pitfalls of this setup?  I'm only using SCVMM due to a requirement by Citrix, as it is needed to create/manage the Citrix virtual PC's.  I don't think I have the resources available to install SCVMM with the high-availability setup as it is calling for a cluster that is seperate from this setup.  Any ideas or real-world experience with my current setup?  Thanks.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 8:45 PM

Answers

• The only recommendation is not to migrate VMM Virtual machine using the VMM Console. You can use failover cluster console to migrate this VM but NOT VMM Console.

Mohamed Fawzi | http://fawzi.wordpress.com

Friday, October 5, 2012 10:59 PM
  • Hi,

Running SCVMM inside a VM hosted by a managed cluster is a supported scenario.

In cloud architecture, it's recommanded to have a dedicated management cluster hosting all shared system center services (like SCVMM / SCOM / SCCM /DPM etc.), but for mid size deployment, theyre is nothing wrong with hosting VMM on the same cluster it manage. Even if you live migrate the VMM machine :)

SCVMM clustering is designed for large scale deployment where SCVMM is part of a self service portal with automation. Because SCVMM is used as a automation server, the service availability is critical (application cluster is used to maintain availability during patch).

Cheer.

Ced

www.guvirt.org

Friday, September 27, 2013 12:50 PM

All replies

• The only recommendation is not to migrate VMM Virtual machine using the VMM Console. You can use failover cluster console to migrate this VM but NOT VMM Console.

Mohamed Fawzi | http://fawzi.wordpress.com

Friday, October 5, 2012 10:59 PM
  • Hi,

Running SCVMM inside a VM hosted by a managed cluster is a supported scenario.

In cloud architecture, it's recommanded to have a dedicated management cluster hosting all shared system center services (like SCVMM / SCOM / SCCM /DPM etc.), but for mid size deployment, theyre is nothing wrong with hosting VMM on the same cluster it manage. Even if you live migrate the VMM machine :)

SCVMM clustering is designed for large scale deployment where SCVMM is part of a self service portal with automation. Because SCVMM is used as a automation server, the service availability is critical (application cluster is used to maintain availability during patch).

Cheer.

Ced

www.guvirt.org

Friday, September 27, 2013 12:50 PM