Create Table style from Existing Table RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

This should be easy but I can not see any options to do this in Word 2007.

I have a table that is used in a customers document format with various colour options etc that is not based on any standard style or font. I want to create a table style from it so I can then quickly apply the style to tables in my document in order to easily convert our standard format docs to look like theirs. They have not created any syles in their document unfortunately.

I just want to select the table and then create new style based on it. I can click the Table Tools\ design new Style but I want it to say "based on selected" but there is nothing like that, I have to use a standard style.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

J

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:41 AM

Answers

• Hi J,

How to apply a table style to an existing table in Word 2007, you can do following steps:

1. Select the table. The Design and Layout tabs for Table Tools are added to the ribbon (A).
    2. Select the Design tab.
    3. In the Table Style group (on the left [B]), select the check boxes for the effects you want. For example, if this table has a header row, select that check box; if you want banded rows, select that check box; if you have a Totals row, select that one, etc. (See also: Tips for using built-in table styles.)
    4. In the Table Styles group (C), click the drop-down arrow to the right of the example styles to see ‘thumbnail’ views of various table styles; scroll down to see all the variations.
    5. Hover over various thumbnails (D) to see how each one looks when applied to your table.
    6. Click on the thumbnail for the style you want to apply.

word2007_tables_toolbar

Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:20 AM
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:05 AM

All replies

• Hi J,

How to apply a table style to an existing table in Word 2007, you can do following steps:

1. Select the table. The Design and Layout tabs for Table Tools are added to the ribbon (A).
    2. Select the Design tab.
    3. In the Table Style group (on the left [B]), select the check boxes for the effects you want. For example, if this table has a header row, select that check box; if you want banded rows, select that check box; if you have a Totals row, select that one, etc. (See also: Tips for using built-in table styles.)
    4. In the Table Styles group (C), click the drop-down arrow to the right of the example styles to see ‘thumbnail’ views of various table styles; scroll down to see all the variations.
    5. Hover over various thumbnails (D) to see how each one looks when applied to your table.
    6. Click on the thumbnail for the style you want to apply.

word2007_tables_toolbar

Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:20 AM
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:05 AM
  • I have the same question, but Jennifer Zhan's reply was not helpful: it completely misunderstood the question.

J Knowles (the original poster) and I both want to know how to create a new style from an existing table.

Ms. Zhan, the Microsoft Moderator, responded by explaining how to apply an existing style to a table. 

If there is an answer to our question, I'd be grateful if someone would provide it.

I have to agree with J Knowles that "This should be easy but I can not see any options to do this in Word 2007."

Thanks,

Mark

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 6:35 PM
  • There doesn't appear to be a quick way  to use an existing table style as you require, but you can re-create a style.

Insert a blank table grid, the number of rows and columns doen't really matter. From table tools Design Tab, click on the More button on Table Styles and click New Table Style.

Give it a name, you can keep the style based on Table Normal, or Table grid as suits.

Don't worry about the sample table that is displayed, this will show you each of your formatting choices as you make them so you can check it is what you want.

Click on the Apply Formatting To drop down, and choose the table element to format, for example Header Row or Total Row, then use the font, border and colour selectors to set the formatting for this element. The sample table will show the format(s) you choose.

Repeat for all of the elements of the table then select whether this style will apply only to this document, or to all new documents based on the current template, then OK.

This should create your table style, and it will be displayed in the Table Style Gallery under Custom.

Hope this is helpful, KK

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 4:39 PM
  • I'm also very interested in how this is done.  As a work around I'm trying to create a new style but the formatting doesn't seem to want to update properly.  Example: When I select Font = Verdana and Size = 8pt, it doesn't change from 10pt and will not get smaller.  Therefore, I can't create the desired new style.  Possibly a different issue but there doesn't seem to be a way for me to format the tables without doing so individually.  Any help would be great!

Thanks,

AL

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 7:57 PM
  • This is something that should be extremely simple but has been completely ignored. And how can a moderator mark their own reply as the answer when it isn't?!

I wish there was something in Table Design to Copy & Paste the current selected table's properties into a new Style. Come on, this has to be easy. There's a copy formatting button there for text...why can't they do something similar for bunches of styles, as this is all it is really...

Anyone?!?!

Monday, April 30, 2012 1:15 AM
  • I agree, this is completely unhelpful.  I've already got the table setup how I want it, I don't want to recreate it, I want to create a style off of the table I've already setup.
    Friday, August 14, 2015 6:07 PM
  • This is a great solution, thank you!
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 10:12 AM
  • OK, the question is quite old now, but I just had the same question and found an answer at http://www.thewindowsclub.com/table-templates-word.

The proposed solution is based on Quick Styles (sorry for my English and I don't use an English version of Word): once you've designed the table you want:
    - select it (the whole table)
    - select the "Insert" tab
    - open the dropdown list "Table"
    - at the bottom of the list, select "Quick Tables"
    - and at the bottom of the popup window which appears click on (approximate translation) "Record your selection in the quick tables gallery". You'll be asked to give your table a name.

That's all. Next time you want to use it, just go to "quick tables" and select your design.

• Proposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Wednesday, January 20, 2016 12:42 PM
    Friday, December 25, 2015 11:07 PM
  • It's nice, but so far all I get is the same table + its content. It doesn't seem to be a style, but a template from which you must delete all content. Perhaps I missed something.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 12:37 PM
  • It's nice, but so far all I get is the same table + its content. It doesn't seem to be a style, but a template from which you must delete all content. Perhaps I missed something.

So, delete the content first? You'll have a blank.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 12:43 PM
  • Is there a way to downvote or replace the moderator's answer? Since it does not answer the OP's question (it answers something unasked), it shouldn't be tagged as the answer. If the reader doesn't continue down to see Hillian's workaround, which has received more upvotes than the answer, they'll miss the solution. The workaround should be at the top, as identified by Charles.

Friday, January 13, 2017 5:07 PM
  • The workaround is excellent. I'm still using Word 2010, and was on the verge of writing some copy-and-paste table style VBA; this probably saved me at least an hour. Thanks for the post!
    Friday, January 13, 2017 5:07 PM
  • The table doesn't show up as a new style in the Table Tools/Design but at least it works! Great, thanks!
    Friday, September 15, 2017 10:58 AM
  • The table doesn't show up as a new style in the Table Tools/Design but at least it works! Great, thanks!

In the English language versions it is called a Quick Table and shows up under the Insert Table Menu.

This is a building block that shows up in the Tables gallery. When selected, you can save it using the Alt+F3 keyboard shortcut and picking Tables as the gallery.

Building Blocks Organizer shown below

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Friday, September 22, 2017 7:58 PM
  • I had to look this up today for Excel 2010 and was able to find this information below.  

http://www.excel-easy.com/examples/table-styles.html

In summary:  When selecting the desired pre-existing table style from the Ribbon to be applied to your data; right click on the table style you want to use as your framework and select "Duplicate".  The rest should be fairly simple to walk through from there.  And, I like Charles Kenyon's advice to add the newly created style to the Quick Styles selections for future use.

• Edited by DarkBonhomie Monday, October 23, 2017 3:42 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Tiny_Tex Monday, October 30, 2017 8:30 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Tiny_Tex Monday, October 30, 2017 8:31 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Francisco Paredes Tuesday, January 23, 2018 6:35 PM
    Monday, October 23, 2017 3:38 PM
  • There were a number of things that MicroSoft let us do in Word 2003 that they took away in 2007 and never gave back to us.  So, I have an antique laptop that never connects to the internet and still has Word 2003 on it for good reason.
    One of those reasons is that I CAN create a table style from an existing table in a Word 2003 .doc or .dot and with Organizer I can copy that style into a later version of a .docx and my table style will show up in the Table Gallery on my later version of Word.  It works like we'd all expect a style to work.

The other major reason I keep Word 2003, is that I could create custom button bars.  I could then attach styles to my buttons.  I've created .DOT files in Word 2003 ... and then attached that Word 2003 .DOT file to my later versions of Word and I get an ADD-INS tab, complete with my custom button bars.

So, if you still have Word 2003 on an old computer, there is a convoluted way to get the table style to work as a style in current versions of Word.

Monday, October 30, 2017 8:40 PM
  • The solution to this problem is unfortunately one of semantics.  The totally and completely reasonable way to ask the question is, of course, "How to copy an existing table style?" which, as we've seen is not possible -- you can't copy (or duplicate) an existing table style... but you CAN CREATE A NEW TABLE STYLE BASED ON AN EXISTING ONE.

( I'm using Word 2016, but 2010 works the same)

Step 1. Determine the table style you want to use.  To do this, from the Table Tools> Design tab, hover over the desired style, and note the name of the table style.  Alternatively, on the desired table style, Right click, then Modify Table Style.  The name will be listed at the top of the Modify Style Window -- make a note of the style, then (very important), click CANCEL, so as to not change the default style.

Step 2. Create a new Table Style based on an existing  table style:  right click on the gallery (really doesn't seem to matter where, but your looking to get to the "New Table Style"...)

Step 3. From the "Style based on" pull down, select your style (from the note you made above) from the styles listed - there are a bunch of them, and they look real similar to one another)

Step 4. Enter a name (first entry field -- Just a suggest: but use the same name, but add some modifier, like doublelinebanded - I'll be easier to match to the "default", and the modifier will give a hint to the difference)

Step 5. Make the changes to the format properties (bottome left pull down) as desired.

Step 6. Click OK.

To use the new style:

Right Click the pull down to the right of the style gallery, then select the NEW style from the custom styles listed at the top...

Happy formatting.

Jeff Bowman

• Proposed as answer by JBowman161 Thursday, July 26, 2018 1:10 AM
    • Edited by JBowman161 Thursday, July 26, 2018 1:12 AM
    Thursday, July 26, 2018 1:00 AM
  • @JBowman161 "Re-phrasing the question and answering it" is less helpful than misunderstanding it completely.

The question is similar to the one someone would ask relating to paragraphs, i.e. "how do you create a brand new re-usable paragraph style from an existing formatted paragraph in an existing document or the current document ?"

The question here is "how do you create a brand new re-usable table style from an existing formatted table in an existing document or the current document?"

As per other replies, I can't believe that Microsoft would:

1. Answer the question incorrectly
    2. Ignore this important facility for users looking for consistency throughout a document, when this question was asked for Word 2007, and omitted in subsequent versions i.e. Word 2010, Word 2013 and Word 2016.

Also, unlike paragraph styles, there is currently no way to export a table style from one document and then import the table style into another document. This is particularly important for a set of documents that already exist and need to be standardised.

• Edited by ishmo65 Tuesday, April 2, 2019 2:03 PM
    Tuesday, April 2, 2019 1:03 PM