Bug in Classic Theme: Confusing double selection (may lead to accidental deletion of parent folder) RRS feed

• General discussion

• There is a TRUE BUG in the Windows Classic Theme in Windows 7: Two items are selected in the same color at the same time obscuring which item is really selected and will be subsequently deleted.

THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED.

In the Windows 7 Basic Theme or the Aero themes the highlight is in light blue and light grey, and yes, the focus shifts correctly, but in the Classic theme it's just wrong.

You can see it here: http://www.jorgk.com/misc/double-selection.png

• Split by Carey FrischMVP Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:50 AM Moved to more appropriate forum category
    • Changed type Niki Han Friday, July 15, 2011 8:57 AM
    • Edited by jorgk Monday, July 18, 2011 11:16 PM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:43 PM

All replies

• Totally agree with that!

I have 2 solutions (more like workarounds, so MS STILL needs to get their act together):

the first one is actually a registry entry (I gotten it from some other forum).
    It was supposed to fix the sorting issue (highlight on top) and some other things in Explorer, but it also seems to fix the highlight issue for deletion!
    If someone is interested (just reply), I will post them here, I have them saved somewhere, but wouldn't know anymore where they came from)

The other solution, is actually a complete replacement for Windows explorer! (NOT the OS, just the explorer bit). It costs money, but I am at the moment trialling it (after it was suggested in ANOTHER forum with Win 7 problems). 
    So far it looks really promising! PLUS it has heaps more features than the MS Explorer....
    http://www.gpsoft.com.au/

Maybe not quite as stable  as MS Explorer, but if it safes me from accidentally deleting files it is worth it. I also had an occasion when I was moving some files, explorer transferred them. Only later I found that the files (230 TV recordings...) all had 0 bytes! ALL FILES HAVE BEEN LOST BY *&%^ MS EXPLORER!

I am stuck with MS OS because of the amount of software I am having, MAC OS is also no solution (my brother got one and he has also another range of issues plus you generally have less options for customizing to have it your way), but I am more and more tempted to try something else (linux, even so I have to learn a whole heap of more things) just so that I do not give any more money to a company that doesn't even allow a bug report for problems that seem to be wide spread AND to top it off don't seem to respond to them....
    Who knows: In 2 years time Android or Chrome might be mature enough to be used on my home PC :-)

Thursday, July 14, 2011 1:56 AM
  • Hi,

I have checked the issue through our internal channel. It is a known bug. Please be assured our developers do recognize this issue and are working on it. Thanks for your understanding.

@marwerno, could you sharing the workaround about modifying the registry value? It will greatly help other people for reference. I appreciate your efforts.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, July 15, 2011 8:57 AM
  • If this is known bug, then surely there is a knowledge base article for it, right? What is the number of the article or a link to it?

How else can we track development on this issue?

Monday, July 18, 2011 11:15 PM
  • Hi,

Please understand only the fixed bug will be released the hotfix or KB. However, I notice our developers are working on this bug. The case has not been archived. If there is any update, it will be published on Microsoft website.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:10 AM
  • No updates yet?

I just lost a half TB of recorded TV from Windows media Center when replacing a hard drive.

This is NOT a trivial bug.

The OS should not be selecting the parent folder for deletion.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 10:32 PM
  • Please understand only the fixed bug will be released the hotfix or KB. However, I notice our developers are working on this bug. The case has not been archived. If there is any update, it will be published on Microsoft website. 

More than one year later there has not been any update. This fatal bug still persists. Are you sure that MS are working on that? They can't possibly be that slow!!
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:30 AM
  • This has been fixed: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2653385
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:33 AM
  • It happened to me today on Windows 8 Pro x64, incredible this bug still isnt fixed.
    Sunday, July 21, 2013 12:34 AM