none
troubleshooting access to project server sites RRS feed

• Question

• I have project server 2007 and have users that are not being allowed access to various piecs of sharepoint (for instance being denied access to a document library).  How do I go about troubleshooting this?  Where do sharepoint access logs live?
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

This could be due to a number of reasons:

- Does the user have a Project Server account / Role?

- Do they have permissions to actually access the site?

- Has the sync job run successfully to sync users to the workspace?

- does this happen for all users / sites?

Hope this helps to begin with.

Regards,

Best Regards, Dharmesh Patel www.dharmeshpatel.co.uk
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 11:46 AM
  • Hi,

This could be due to a number of reasons:

- Does the user have a Project Server account / Role?

- Do they have permissions to actually access the site?

- Has the sync job run successfully to sync users to the workspace?

- does this happen for all users / sites?

Hope this helps to begin with.

Regards,

Best Regards, Dharmesh Patel www.dharmeshpatel.co.uk

Sorry for the delay I apparantly had to reactivate my alerts.

yes the user has access and a role on the site

yes the sync job has run

no this does not afect all users - the only thing that might be in common is a recent password change.

I am also seeeing some bizare errors in the event log about being unable to create a trace file even the the WPG groups have full control of the logs directory that the trace files are pointing to.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 10:24 PM
  • Hello.

Assuming that the document library that the user is trying to access is on a Project Server Project site (under the PWA collection), then that user has to have two things.  First is a permission role assigned in PS2007 PWA, which you've already confirmed that he/she does.  Second, in PS2007 the user has to be assigned to the project using the Build Team functionality.  They don't necessarily have to be assigned tasks on the project, but they have to be part of the team, which will give them at least Reader permissions to the Project Site. 

Additionally, using standard Sharepoint functionality, you can go into the Project Site Site Permissions and assign that person or people access rights just to that site, but I've found that it is easier to teach PMs, et al this method and make administration of permissions much easier to do and diagnose because it's all done within PWA.

In PS 2010 there is additional functionality where the person can be granted Project site permissions without being assigned to the team.

I hope this helps.

Christine

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 10:57 PM
  • Hello.

Assuming that the document library that the user is trying to access is on a Project Server Project site (under the PWA collection), then that user has to have two things.  First is a permission role assigned in PS2007 PWA, which you've already confirmed that he/she does.  Second, in PS2007 the user has to be assigned to the project using the Build Team functionality.  They don't necessarily have to be assigned tasks on the project, but they have to be part of the team, which will give them at least Reader permissions to the Project Site. 

Additionally, using standard Sharepoint functionality, you can go into the Project Site Site Permissions and assign that person or people access rights just to that site, but I've found that it is easier to teach PMs, et al this method and make administration of permissions much easier to do and diagnose because it's all done within PWA.

In PS 2010 there is additional functionality where the person can be granted Project site permissions without being assigned to the team.

I hope this helps.

Christine

I didn't see a PWA collection, all of the site collections are listed as projectserver_NNN

It looks like from what I can gather they are not even using project with these sites they are using it as just a sharepoint site.  I'm hoping I can just migrate this to sharepoint 2010 once the access issues are resolved. 

Thursday, December 9, 2010 5:18 PM
  • If the sites are not part of a Project Server implementation then access rights are controlled using native Sharepoint tools and methods.
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 10:40 PM
  • Now I am wondering how to tell that. The home webpage has a custom webpart (which I presume to be a part of MS project) and the sites are all /sites/MS_ProjectServer_PublicDocuments and I have more project related templates in new sites like "UIDMS related project calendar" and "High level releases and projects".  Is there a way to verify that this is using "plain" sharepoint vs project server sharepoint?  I suspect that they may have originally used this for project but then found more uses for sharepoint.
    Friday, December 10, 2010 7:14 PM