My Windows7-64 home premium does not work. RRS feed

• General discussion

• I reinstalled windows back in 2014 because something wasn't right. I don't know if anything was wrong but it was behaving oddly so I decided to reinstall from the hidden partition. As soon as it was complete I made 5 recovery disks. Three weeks or so ago I noticed my cooling fan spike in revolutions, very fast. I immediately switched to Task Mgr. to find explorer.exe at 3,605,343K(Process tab, memory private working set) it usually runs at a max of 22,000K. Because I am not able to let things go, I did some exploring of my own. In event viewer I had 238 warning events where processes had leaked registry handles from user S-1-5-21. FBAgent.exe was involved in 229 of them along with winlogon.exe, and a couple of others I can't find the names to right now. They were then accessing things like root certificates, my certificates, passwords, verifications, etc. I try to go to microsoft.com at my browser says my AV won't let me do so because it isn't a secure site. The certificates don't match. That happened at almost every site I visited. After that happened, a day or two later, the fan speed kicked up again and this time it was Host process for windows services(netsvcs) and it is at 5,000,000K. I look to the services tab in TaskMgr and there are 17 services using that one host. Also, all the .dll in the computer are opened and being accessed by something. Haven't figured out what just yet. In resource monitor my HD is at 100-105% and it is host process(netsvcs) either reading or writing but not both. It is writing to pagefile, and others that I can't seem to find on my computer. My computer says they don't exist. Tried to do a system restore, I had 8 to choose from, but every time I got an error that it couldn't complete the restore "System Restore failed to extract the file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 15\Addins\Power pivot Excel Addin\hi\MI038c~1.dll from the restore point. The restore point was damaged or was deleted during the restore". My Bit Defender AV - Total Security 2017 reports during scans that System Volume Information that is stored on my external USB drive can't be found to be scanned.
    Sunday, May 7, 2017 8:45 AM

All replies

• It sounds like you may have a very serious malware infection, possibly a rootkit.  I recommend you run these tools

TDSS Killer
    http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/disinfection/5350#block1

AdwCleaner
    https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

When downloading and installing this be sure to get the free version. Say No
    to any free trial offers or automatic updating during setup to keep the free version functional.
    Malwarebytes
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

Sunday, May 7, 2017 4:31 PM
  • I ran both scans only AdwCleaner found anything. It found "Bitberry" and deleted all issues.

[-] Key deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{3CCC052E-BDEE-408A-BEA7-90914EF2964B}
    [-] Key deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{61F47056-E400-43D3-AF1E-AB7DFFD4C4AD}
    [-] Key deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{E2B98EEA-EE55-4E9B-A8C1-6E5288DF785A}
    [-] Value deleted: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser [{21FA44EF-376D-4D53-9B0F-8A89D3229068}]
    [-] Key deleted: HKU\S-1-5-21-1414573638-1950853217-1750071459-1000\Software\Bitberry
    [#] Key deleted on reboot: HKCU\Software\Bitberry
    [#] Key deleted on reboot: [x64] HKCU\Software\Bitberry
    I have been watching event viewer for issues and nothing critical but in the warning section there was this:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service
    Date:          5/7/2017 9:16:37 PM
    Event ID:      1530
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      HAL2000-PC
    Description:
    Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.  

DETAIL -
     7 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-1414573638-1950853217-1750071459-1000:
    Process 1488 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1414573638-1950853217-1750071459-1000\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
    Process 1488 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1414573638-1950853217-1750071459-1000\Software\Policies
    Process 1488 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1414573638-1950853217-1750071459-1000\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
    Process 1488 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1414573638-1950853217-1750071459-1000\Software
    Process 1488 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1414573638-1950853217-1750071459-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
    Process 1488 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1414573638-1950853217-1750071459-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
    Process 1488 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1414573638-1950853217-1750071459-1000\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl

What I couldn't fit in my previous post was that I didn't pay attention in 2014 after reinstalling windows. But when I started this hunt about three weeks ago I noticed that this same issue started immediately after the install. So when I installed this time I was watching and before I could connect to anything this was happening again. I conclude that this issue is on my hidden windows partition and on the recovery disks that I made. I have used a paid version of Norton and several free antivirus programs like AVG, BitDefender, Charity, Malwarebytes, and none have found anything. I bought my computer from BestBuy and it came installed with the BestBuy app. The first thing I did was uninstall it. Six years later and I am finding Best Buy in the user profile I created(and now can't access for some reason) I found in event viewer an interesting that I will post next because there is no room on this one. I have since gone through the registry and removed all references to Best Buy and where ever I find it in folders I delete it. Right now my Host process for windows services(netsvcs) is running at 1,109,020K. I can't get windows updates. I used the update fixer from the microsoft site so I don't have an update history and when it looks for updates it looks and doesn't stop. The progress bar is moving but nothing is happening. In fact the windows update process is only running at 2,284K. Way down the list. The computer says its looking but it isn't using the process.

Monday, May 8, 2017 5:02 AM
  • Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Best Buy pc app
    Date:          4/30/2017 9:24:50 PM
    Event ID:      0
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      HAL2000-PC
    Description:
    The description for Event ID 0 from source Best Buy pc app cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Timestamp: 5/1/2017 2:24:50 AM
    Message: Failed to retrieve image rotator list for listName: CentralHub Exception: Could not connect to https://pcimagesoftware.bestbuy.com/PCImageServiceR3/PCImage.svc. TCP error code 10060: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 168.94.230.178:443.
    Exception Source: mscorlib
    Target Method: Void HandleReturnMessage(System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessage, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessage)
    Stack Trace:

Server stack trace:
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpOutput.WebRequestHttpOutput.GetOutputStream()
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpOutput.Send(TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.SendRequest(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.RequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.RequestChannelBinder.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at PCImageInfrastructure.PCImageServices.PCImage.GetImageRotatorLists(String[] ImageRotatorListIDs)
       at PCImageInfrastructure.PCImageServices.PCImageClient.GetImageRotatorLists(String[] ImageRotatorListIDs)
       at PCImage.Modules.Default.Services.PCImageSvc.<>c__DisplayClass4a.<GetImageRotatorLists>b__49(PCImageClient t)
       at PCImage.Modules.Default.Services.PCImageSvc.CallService[T](Action`1 action)
       at PCImage.Modules.Default.Services.PCImageSvc.GetImageRotatorLists(String[] ImageRotatorListIDs)
       at PCImage.Modules.Default.Services.CatalogService.LoadImageRotatorItems(String listName)

Inner Exception:
    Exception Source: System
    Target Method: System.IO.Stream GetRequestStream(System.Net.TransportContext ByRef)
    Stack Trace:
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream(TransportContext& context)
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpOutput.WebRequestHttpOutput.GetOutputStream()

Inner Exception:
    A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 168.94.230.178:443
    Target Method: Void DoConnect(System.Net.EndPoint, System.Net.SocketAddress)
    Stack Trace:
       at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
       at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)Could not connect to https://pcimagesoftware.bestbuy.com/PCImageServiceR3/PCImage.svc. TCP error code 10060: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 168.94.230.178:443.
    Target Method: Void HandleReturnMessage(System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessage, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessage)
    Stack Trace:

Server stack trace:
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.SendRequest(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.RequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.RequestChannelBinder.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at PCImageInfrastructure.PCImageServices.PCImage.GetImageRotatorLists(String[] ImageRotatorListIDs)
       at PCImageInfrastructure.PCImageServices.PCImageClient.GetImageRotatorLists(String[] ImageRotatorListIDs)
       at PCImage.Modules.Default.Services.PCImageSvc.<>c__DisplayClass4a.<GetImageRotatorLists>b__49(PCImageClient t)
       at PCImage.Modules.Default.Services.PCImageSvc.GetImageRotatorLists(String[] ImageRotatorListIDs)
       at PCImage.Modules.Default.Services.CatalogService.LoadImageRotatorItems(String listName)

Inner Exception:
    Target Method: System.IO.Stream GetRequestStream(System.Net.TransportContext ByRef)
    Stack Trace:

Inner Exception:
    A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 168.94.230.178:443
    Stack Trace:
       at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
       at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)Could not connect to https://pcimagesoftware.bestbuy.com/PCImageServiceR3/PCImage.svc. TCP error code 10060: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 168.94.230.178:443.
    Stack Trace:

Server stack trace:

Inner Exception:
    Stack Trace:

Inner Exception:
    Stack Trace:
    Stack Trace:

Server stack trace:

Inner Exception:
    Stack Trace:

Inner Exception:
    Stack Trace:
       at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)
    Category: General
    Priority: -1
    EventId: 0
    Severity: Error
    Title:
    Machine: HAL2000-PC
    Application Domain: DefaultDomain
    Process Id: 3320
    Process Name: C:\Users\Christopher\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\LM909EPV.3T7\LO0K34KL.4HM\best..capp_ec8bce34fe4caa9f_0003.0001_f9b5e0d8aa650f06\Best Buy pc app.exe
    Win32 Thread Id: 3324
    Thread Name:
    Extended Properties:

Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Best Buy pc app" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-05-01T02:24:50.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>907</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>HAL2000-PC</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>Timestamp: 5/1/2017 2:24:50 AM
    Message: Failed to retrieve image rotator list for listName: CentralHub Exception: Could not connect to https://pcimagesoftware.bestbuy.com/PCImageServiceR3/PCImage.svc. TCP error code 10060: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 168.94.230.178:443.
    Stack Trace:

Server stack trace:

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData&amp; msgData, Int32 type)
       at PCImage.Modules.Default.Services.PCImageSvc.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass4a.&lt;GetImageRotatorLists&gt;b__49(PCImageClient t)

Inner Exception:
    Stack Trace:
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream(TransportContext&amp; context)

Inner Exception:
    Stack Trace:
       at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket&amp; socket, IPAddress&amp; address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception&amp; exception)Could not connect to https://pcimagesoftware.bestbuy.com/PCImageServiceR3/PCImage.svc. TCP error code 10060: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 168.94.230.178:443.
    Stack Trace:

Server stack trace:

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData&amp; msgData, Int32 type)
       at PCImage.Modules.Default.Services.PCImageSvc.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass4a.&lt;GetImageRotatorLists&gt;b__49(PCImageClient t)

Inner Exception:
    Stack Trace:

Inner Exception:
    Stack Trace:
       at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket&amp; socket, IPAddress&amp; address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception&amp; exception)Could not connect to https://pcimagesoftware.bestbuy.com/PCImageServiceR3/PCImage.svc. TCP error code 10060: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 168.94.230.178:443.
    Stack Trace:

Server stack trace:

Inner Exception:
    Stack Trace:

Inner Exception:
    Stack Trace:
    Stack Trace:

Server stack trace:

Inner Exception:
    Stack Trace:

Inner Exception:
    Stack Trace:
       at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket&amp; socket, IPAddress&amp; address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception&amp; exception)
    Category: General
    Priority: -1
    EventId: 0
    Severity: Error
    Title:
    Machine: HAL2000-PC
    Application Domain: DefaultDomain
    Process Id: 3320
    Process Name: C:\Users\Christopher\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\LM909EPV.3T7\LO0K34KL.4HM\best..capp_ec8bce34fe4caa9f_0003.0001_f9b5e0d8aa650f06\Best Buy pc app.exe
    Win32 Thread Id: 3324
    I uninstalled the pc app in 2011.
    Monday, May 8, 2017 5:30 AM
  • It appears that the 'Best Buy pc app.exe' is still loading despite the uninstall.  I suggest you use Autoruns to try to find and disable it.

Autoruns for Windows v13.7
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

With regard to the Windows update problem see:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/windows-7-update-solution/f39a65fa-9d10-42e7-9bc0-7f5096b36d0c

If you should want to reinstall Windows in the future, you might consider doing a clean install using a standard media rather than the hidden partition with the Best Buy crap, though you might have to download device drivers.  You can get a clean installation media here -

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Monday, May 8, 2017 3:20 PM