PING !!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

Can someone help me to find out or tell me if MS will check for the Ping status on monitored Server?

- Thanks, SKV
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 4:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• Well, yes.  There is a monitor type called ping - you can set that up. 

Also, If a managed server stops heartbeat, the RMS will try to ping it.  If it is not responsive, it will go grey and an alert will occur.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 4:30 PM
  • Thanks for the info Dan.

I got the info from the Ping Properties that :"This monitor pings a agentless computer using an ICMP Ping. If the computer is agent managed, it pings itself locally". Is that mean this monitor type will not work for Agent Managed !!!?

- Thanks, SKV
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 4:41 PM
  • Have you checked the OpsLogix MP for Ping? we have been using that and are very happy. And its free!!
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:09 PM
  • No, I am just trying to find out the Monitor or MP which is generating the ping alert...

Since I am getting the Ping alert but not able to find out from which monitor its exactly from. In fact all the servers are agent managed.

- Thanks, SKV
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:12 PM
  • No, I am just trying to find out the Monitor or MP which is generating the ping alert...

Since I am getting the Ping alert but not able to find out from which monitor its exactly from. In fact all the servers are agent managed.

- Thanks, SKV

Please see:

http://blogs.technet.com/kevinholman/archive/2008/06/27/which-servers-are-down-in-my-company-and-which-just-have-a-heartbeat-failure-right-now.aspx

The "Computer not reachable" monitor handles the "no ping" alert.

There is nothing to configure - the "Ping Status" monitor is for Agentless only (mostly cluster virtuals in a typical environment) and should not be configured. 

The computer down monitor turns red after:  a failed heartbeat, then a failed ping.
    • Marked as answer by SaiVarshini Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:37 PM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:25 PM
  • Thanks a lot, Kevin.
    - Thanks, SKV
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:56 PM

• Actually, there's something to configure in some cases. Not in SCOM though, but you have to make sure DNS is fully working.

The ping tasks just runs a dns query on the FQDN of the server known in SCOM. if this query fails, ping fails and the servers shows up as down, while in fact it might be up. When the (r)ms and the managed servers are in the same domain it shouldn't be a problem. However, for dmz servers or other forests make sure the scom servers can resolve all managed servers on FQDN (and ping is allowed by all of the network components of course, including local firewall).

Rob Korving
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:50 PM
  • im digging that blog Rob - keep it up!
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:07 PM