Not getting emails that has password protected document (as attachment) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Expert Team,

I have been getting emails with attached documents that have password protection on... up until recently... well, more like 3 months now. Basically, my contact sends two separate emails. The first email with the password protected document attached. The second email contains the password to open the document in the first email. For 3 months now I only received the second email (one that has the password) and no longer the first email. The workaround is to have my resource email the first email to my assistant. She then turns around and forwards me the email with the password protected document attached. I have checked all my Outlook and Word document settings but all are the as my assistant. Nothing different. Does anyone experience this and if so, what did you do to resolve it? 

GenXit

• Edited by GenXit Friday, January 20, 2017 6:29 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2017 6:29 PM

Answers

• I just talked to our IT Security team. They added the hostnames of the senders into their "trust" policy and then we were able to get external emails with password protected documents now.

It is not file type they blocked and it's not within Exchange server either. It is within a new security software they implemented recently.

Toly Xiong

• Marked as answer by GenXit Tuesday, January 24, 2017 7:43 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 7:43 PM

All replies

• Hello,

To fix your question, I want to know:
    1. Which account are you used, Exchange account or not?
    2. How does your assistant receive your message, delegate or inbox rule?
    3. Can you reproduce this issue now?

If it's a Exchange account, please try to login OWA or configure Outlook with online mode for testing.

If not, does sender get any NDR or error return when deliver fails?

Best Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:55 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2017 7:16 AM
  • 1. Which account are you used, Exchange account or not? - Exchange account. 
    2. How does your assistant receive your message, delegate or inbox rule? - She receives her email just like anyone of us. No delegate and no inbox rule.
    3. Can you reproduce this issue now? - Yes we can reproduce. I sent the same file from my Comcast.net account and it was doing the same. I renamed the file, I changed the file extension, I change the subject line.. yet still not getting the file. But any file that is password protected I can receive them no problem.

I can't help but to think that our IT security team need to add the hostnames to the "trusted" hosts.

Toly Xiong

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 6:53 PM
  • What is the file extension that you are not receiving?

Probably there is a defined Transport rule that is blocking the content/File extension 

The admin can run below command to check blocked extension types:-

Get-owamailboxpolicy | select -expandproperty Blockedfiletypes

Below article might help:-

-http://nickwhittome.com/2014/10/16/blocking-executable-attachments-even-in-zip-files-on-office-365/

Abrar Kaberi

• Edited by Akabe Tuesday, January 24, 2017 7:27 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 7:22 PM
  • I just talked to our IT Security team. They added the hostnames of the senders into their "trust" policy and then we were able to get external emails with password protected documents now.

It is not file type they blocked and it's not within Exchange server either. It is within a new security software they implemented recently.

Toly Xiong

• Marked as answer by GenXit Tuesday, January 24, 2017 7:43 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 7:43 PM
  • Great, glad it solves and thanks for sharing.

Best Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 12:10 PM