none
DPM encountered a retryable VSS error (ID: 30112) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am having an issue with DPM 2007 not backing up one of my Hyper-V virtual servers. In the event log I get the following error:

Creation of recovery points for Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\IIS6serve on xxx.xxx.local have failed. The last recovery point creation failed for the following reason: (ID: 3159)
    DPM encountered a retryable VSS error. (ID: 30112)

DPM ID: 2^|^DPMSERVEP^|^Recovery point creation failures^|^DPM^|^Backup^|^xxx.xxx.local^|^28df6a84-bfa7-4c01-9053-dd7d411ce818

I have researched this issue but I cannot find a solution that is specific to my exact issue. After reading this article, I looked at applying this update, however, my exact issue does not seem to be listed in there.

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 2:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• Did online backups ever work for this guest, or is this the first time you are trying to backup that guest ?

Most likely, the problem is inside the guest, look at the application event log in the guest for any vss errors.  Also, be sure you install the latest integration components and reboot the guest.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 5:38 PM
  • Hi Mike,

You would be correct; there are plenty of VSS errors occurring. Here is what the latest reads. I recall reading somewhere that this issue would happen if the Volume Shadow Copy service got stuck in the stopping state, which it appears to be in this case. However, last time I checked this service was stopped. This is not the first time this guest has been backed up; this issue started about a month ago.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 5:50 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, the latest COM rollup will most likely fix that issue, please install this update and let me know if that resolved it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934016

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 2:45 AM
  • Sorry for the delayed response.

I will implement this hotfix ASAP (probably Friday) and let you know if that resolved the issue.

Thanks!

Monday, June 7, 2010 5:44 PM
  • OK,

Two more fixes that can also effect VSS reliability if the first recommended patch does not do the trick.

KB965230  FIX: The COM+ Event System does not deliver timely or reliable statistics to subscribers of the IComTrackingInfoEvents event interface in Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;965230

kb968447  The COM+ Event System stops processing the query for matching subscriptions when it detects a corrupted subscription on a Windows Server 2003-based computer 
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;968447

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 10:46 PM
  • Closing the thread, can you please re-open if the suggested resolutions do not help?

Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 12:36 PM