Outlook 2013 - IMAP Server - 900+ Folders Some No Longer Showing Contents RRS feed

• Question

• I have a newer user (roughly 10 months on my network) who has created well over 900 folders in a combination of root to the inbox to at least three sub-folders deep.

In the past week, when a new folder is created and contents are moved into it, the contents are NOT visible. They do not disappear, as I can go onto the server and see the files that contain each email in the appropriate folder and also view the emails as existing when I use a different 

We are not running an Exchange Server. Other email clients do not have this problem with this user's setup.

NO other user on my network has or will be creating this many folders. Over time, this user is likely to create many tens of thousands of folders.

Is this something that can be overcome with Outlook 2013? Thank you.
    Monday, November 19, 2018 5:41 PM

All replies

• Hi radkinsll,

As far as I know, performance issues (like folders are not displayed properly or it took long time to appear) might occur when there are too many folders in Outlook. 

According to the following article, the item and folder limits for Outlook 2013 are "100,000 items per folder" and "500 folders total".

Outlook performance issues when there are too many items or folders in a Cached mode .ost or .pst file folder

Considering that 900+ is high beyond the limit 500 folders total, it is recommend to reduce the number of mail folders that the user has.

Hope the above information can be helpful.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 7:52 AM
  • Hi radkinsll,

Just checked in to see if you have resolved the issue. Any update is appreciated.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 10:05 AM
  • Hi radkinsll,

Was the problem resolved? If the post above was helpful, it would be appreciated that you can help mark it as answer.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Monday, December 10, 2018 3:25 PM