Strange issue - Management Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks, one of my App-V management servers (4.5) works fine but every week or so the IIS site "SoftGridManagement" goes missing. To fix it I uninstall and reinstall the App-V management server service. Now it is happening every day. No errors, logs or indications on what this might be. Initially I had thought VMware was reverting to a snap shot or something but that isn't the case. I even stay logged into the server, leave the management console open and still the IIS site goes missing. What the hell is that?

Thanks for any ideas you might have.

Friday, November 25, 2011 8:15 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Have you verified if Automatic Update tries and fails to update the server?
    Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 10:25 AM
  • I upgraded the console to 4.5SP1 and the problem seems to have gone away. I did try doing a comparison of all files on the system to see what was being accessed/changed. Nothing would come up. I specifically disabled Windows updates and any other automated change mechanism to rule all that out. Still didn't figure out what was happening. All is good now.
    Monday, January 23, 2012 2:33 PM

All replies

• Is there absolutely nothing related in the Application or System event logs?

What processes are running on the box? Anti-virus, security agents etc. Which version of Windows are you running?

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Friday, November 25, 2011 8:37 PM
  • This is a virtualized Windows 2003 R2 box, Symantec Endpoint Protection and App-V management service. Not much else. Not a thing being logged in event logs.
    Friday, November 25, 2011 9:09 PM
  • What about in the IIS logs or the Symantec Endpoint Protection? I find it unlikely that the cause would be App-V itself.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Friday, November 25, 2011 9:21 PM
  • Hello,

Have you verified if Automatic Update tries and fails to update the server?
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 10:25 AM
  • Very strange. This just keeps happening but now the frequency is every day. Getting tired of reinstalling the app-v management server. I have been through every log and system file and can't find any trace of what or who is doing this. Next step is to move it to another box.
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 7:48 PM
  • Hello,

have you searched for altered files during the time period between when the server is working and when it fails? Could be that it will give you a hint as to why it happens (if files are updated in Windows Update-folders, that could point to windows update running.)
    Monday, January 9, 2012 8:55 PM
  • I upgraded the console to 4.5SP1 and the problem seems to have gone away. I did try doing a comparison of all files on the system to see what was being accessed/changed. Nothing would come up. I specifically disabled Windows updates and any other automated change mechanism to rule all that out. Still didn't figure out what was happening. All is good now.
    Monday, January 23, 2012 2:33 PM