Windows Update and My Computer Properties closes upon launch without error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm using Windows Vista Business, service pack 1.

I'm having an unusual issue with Windows Update and the Properties page of "My Computer".  When I try to open either one of these pages, the window appears for less than 1 second then closes.

there are no errors in any of the windows logs.

I went to try a system restore, but nearly all of the restore points are gone.  The ones that are there do not work.  Any attempt to restore comes back as failed.
    Cursory review of the internet doesn't yield anything that works.  The restarting of the Software Licensing service doesn't work, for example.

Again, there's no errors being logged.

If more information is needed, please reply.
    thanks,
    Andrew
    Friday, April 3, 2009 4:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Andrew, thanks for the post. As this issue can be caused by third party software, I suggest you boot into Safe Mode and see if the issue still occurs.

1. Restart the computer.

2. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

3. Choose Safe Mode by using the up and down arrows on your keyboard, and press Enter.

4. Start the computer in Safe Mode and check if the issue still occurs.

(Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary. To return the system back to Normal Mode, we can simply restart the computer. )

If this issue does not occur, you can perform a Clean Boot:

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 6:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Andrew, thanks for the post. As this issue can be caused by third party software, I suggest you boot into Safe Mode and see if the issue still occurs.

1. Restart the computer.

2. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

3. Choose Safe Mode by using the up and down arrows on your keyboard, and press Enter.

4. Start the computer in Safe Mode and check if the issue still occurs.

(Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary. To return the system back to Normal Mode, we can simply restart the computer. )

If this issue does not occur, you can perform a Clean Boot:

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 6:57 AM
  • I can see that there was no answer to this from anhdy41. so I hope the problem was solved for you .. Bacause I have the sam problem..
    And I realy am frustrated right now .. cause this is the case.

The problem apears on 3 brand new HP machines. Vista Business swedish. When I start them up and do the first time startup install from the HD everything works fine. Some days or hours later the exact same problem shows up on all of them.

I cannot start windows update (it uppdates annyway thru atomatic updates and installs when I shut it down) , cannot open desktop properties window, or netwoksettings window or anny of manny other administrativ settings ..

The windows opens and closes as fast as described above.

Have reinstalled the computers from the F11 reinstall alternative when startup (since it did not folow anny dvd's with the computer) and the exact same happend after a while .. works fine at first .. then days or hours later the same happens.

Even when I startup in safemode the exact same problem apear

First I was sure that it was a virus .. but manny other administrative things are posible .. I can regedit.. I can se taskmanager (no suspcious things there) and open firewal settings and so... so I was not so sure annymore ..

And neither MS own tool for malicious software removal or MacAfee or BitDefenders antiVirus finds annything on the computers.

So .. now I'm desperate. This is a nightmare of time spent on ____!!!

Pleease point me in the right direction.  The customers of this computers find it most unpleasant to dont know what is happening with their new computers.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 1:28 PM
  • I too have the exact same problem as glennv, any help at all would be much appreciated!
    Tried the advice of Sean Zhu, but i have the same problem in safemode.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:59 PM
  • I had the same problem in a HP, download Vista SP 2 manually and install it, it solved the problem
    Monday, November 16, 2009 12:28 PM