Activating windows RRS feed

• Question

• I need some serious help.  I installed and activated my copy of windows vista, but a few days after that my motherboard went bad, and I had to buy a new one.  Well since some of the hardware changed, Vista thinks this is a different computer and it won't let me activate it again.  It says my product key is already in use.  Does anyone know how I can get around this, because I can't see paying for another copy of vista if I want to upgrade my computer parts.  I obviously can't use the old motherboard, so what am I supposed to do.  I hope someone may have the answer to my question.
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 6:32 AM

Answers

• You must contact your local Microsoft support about this issue.

Good luck

Sunday, February 18, 2007 6:06 PM
  • HI

I had the same issue with my first vista install the mobo dies a day later , water cooling failed.  So new Mobo installed, and vista wont go,  so after thinking about this I reinstalle XP, and went for the online / Phone help to activate, and finally got through to a helpline person, they told me that all i needed to do was reformat and the new install would fail but would give you the option to activate by phone. This is now done and it worked for me.

Bear in mind you can be waiting a long time,  mine was ca 20 mins before it got sorted.

Uk Number

(0) (800) 018-8354

The help line numbers are at this URL

Other numbers rest of world.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/numbers.mspx

on a side note, I did a reinstall to another computer and under the Welcome center seltected basic computer information  ther is the choice to enter another product key.

Good luck

Dunstonuk

Friday, February 23, 2007 12:24 AM

All replies

• You must contact your local Microsoft support about this issue.

Good luck

Sunday, February 18, 2007 6:06 PM
  • HI

I had the same issue with my first vista install the mobo dies a day later , water cooling failed.  So new Mobo installed, and vista wont go,  so after thinking about this I reinstalle XP, and went for the online / Phone help to activate, and finally got through to a helpline person, they told me that all i needed to do was reformat and the new install would fail but would give you the option to activate by phone. This is now done and it worked for me.

Bear in mind you can be waiting a long time,  mine was ca 20 mins before it got sorted.

Uk Number

(0) (800) 018-8354

The help line numbers are at this URL

Other numbers rest of world.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/numbers.mspx

on a side note, I did a reinstall to another computer and under the Welcome center seltected basic computer information  ther is the choice to enter another product key.

Good luck

Dunstonuk

Friday, February 23, 2007 12:24 AM
  • I am a soldier in Iraq and I have limited amount of access time to the net due to missions. Is there any other way I can activate an already activated copy of Vista? I changed motherboards and now can't activate it at all.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 7:41 PM