Column Level Calculed Formula Problem RRS feed

• Question

• SharePoint Version is SharePoint 2007 Standard

Scenario: I'm trying to apply a forumla from within the additional column settings of a date/field data type.  NOT on a Calculated Column.  In particular, one that'll return the text display of the day that a date falls on.  An example of this would be 09/01/2014 would be returned as a Thursday  The formula I'd use in a calculated column is

=TEXT(WEEKDAY([DateFieldColumn]), "dddd")

However, I return the following error message when I use it within the field itself. 

"The formula contains a circular reference (the calculated column  refers to itself).  You must remove or change the circular reference."

Any other tweak returns an "unsupported syntax error message"

Any ideas appreciated.

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

Thursday, January 9, 2014 9:56 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Steven

I tried your formula and as expected it did not work. SharePoint does not like it when field is referenced in the calculated column. Actually I created a text field and under additional column setting I tried to use the same formula for calculated value and it still did not like i.e. Basically it seems SharePoint does not like any reference of the fields from the list/library. 

The only thing that worked for me was the calculated column which I am sure you know that as well .:)

So given the scenario I do no think leveraging any list fields in the calculation will not work unless you are using calculated column. 

I cannot help much except to confirm the limitation that you are facing. 

Amit

Monday, January 13, 2014 2:07 PM