none
Defining "roles" for multiple resources on the same task RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a request that initially seemed straightforward (and I think also quite common in PM world) but is proving to be not possible in Project.

My need is to assign, to each task, multiple resources (easy!) and to have a specific "role" for each of them (not easy!). In other words, for example I would like to define that ResA is "Owner" of Task1 and ResB is "Participant" to the same Task1. Then ResA may be "Participant" to Task2 and ResB "Owner" of Task2.

So far I managed to define something similar using a custom field (Text1) on the "Resource Usage" view. I customized Text1 field and set a Lookup with the values I need (Owner, Responsible, Participant). This is working fine: but I cannot see this info in the Gantt views (I can only add columns like Resource Name, Resource Group, ..., but I can find no way to display the role each resource has on each task).

Can anyone help me please? Any creative ideas on how to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Marco

Monday, November 19, 2012 11:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It will be difficult to see all the roles for all the resources on one line (in the gantt Chart)

Howver, it is possible to make resource Usage-defined assignment custom fields visible in Task Usage view. You will have to excute a macro to copy them. The code can be found on http://www.mvps.org/project/faqs.htm

Faq 37: Custom fields in Tables

Fellow MVP Jack Dahlgren's site, masamiki.com, has anexplanation how to implement it.

Greetings,

Monday, November 19, 2012 12:41 PM
  • If you are using cutom filed then you can show that in Gantt Chart.

Double click on time duration bar of a task to get 'Format Bar".  in cell value, choose the custom field you have made for Roles.

R A A

Monday, November 19, 2012 1:19 PM