none
SharePoint and MySQL server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a development server with different stuff installed. Among other it has several MS SQL instances and 1 MySQL instance (port 3306).

I try to install SharePoint there and use MS SQL instance on default 1433 port, setup and configuration wizard succeed but when I try to open Central Administration I get MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlException.

I tried to setup SharePoint 2010 and 2013 and both have the same problem.

In 2010 the error looks like this:

"SharePoint Foundation Runtime Unexpected System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Authentication to host '' for user '' using method 'mysql_native_password' failed with message: Access denied for user ''@'my.server.com' (using password: NO)"

In 2013 there are more details:

"SharePoint Foundation Runtime Unexpected MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlException: Access denied for user ''@'my.server.com' (using password: NO)    at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlStream.ReadPacket()     at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.Authentication.MySqlAuthenticationPlugin.ReadPacket() 81e05d9d-278c-00a9-0000-022d6f4815c6

SharePoint Foundation General High Getting Error Message for Exception System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Authentication to host '' for user '' using method 'mysql_native_password' failed with message: Access denied for user ''@'my.server.com' (using password: NO) (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Config\machine.config line 287) ---> MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlException: Authentication to host '' for user '' using method 'mysql_native_password' failed with message: Access denied for user ''@'my.server.com' (using password: NO) ---> MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlException: Access denied for user ''@'my.server.com' (using password: NO)     at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlStream.ReadPacket()"

To prevent misunderstanding: I DO NOT use MySQL instance during SharePoint setup/configuration in any way. I create farm in MS SQL instance. Configuration and CA content databases are both created successfully in that MS SQL instance.

What should I do to make SharePoint NOT connecting MySQL?

• Edited by ownmaster Wednesday, February 10, 2016 4:19 PM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2016 4:15 PM

Answers

• OK, based on the 2013 error description I opened machine.config and commented all sections related with MySQL except assemblies in the <runtime> section.

After server restart CA (SharePoint 2013) loaded normally.

Below is the section contained line 287 line (now commented):

<siteMap>
          <providers>
            <!-- <add name="MySqlSiteMapProvider" type="MySql.Web.SiteMap.MySqlSiteMapProvider, MySql.Web, Version=6.9.6.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d" connectionStringName="LocalMySqlServer" applicationName="/" /> -->
          </providers>
        </siteMap>

• Marked as answer by ownmaster Thursday, February 11, 2016 12:15 PM
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 10:24 AM

All replies

• Well that's interesting. Given that it's refferring to your machine.config file i'd have a look there to see if there's anything interesting on line 287.

This won't be a situation MS will have tested, as far as they are concerned SharePoint needs it's own server and it hasn't been built to share well.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 9:16 AM
  • OK, based on the 2013 error description I opened machine.config and commented all sections related with MySQL except assemblies in the <runtime> section.

After server restart CA (SharePoint 2013) loaded normally.

Below is the section contained line 287 line (now commented):

<siteMap>
          <providers>
            <!-- <add name="MySqlSiteMapProvider" type="MySql.Web.SiteMap.MySqlSiteMapProvider, MySql.Web, Version=6.9.6.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d" connectionStringName="LocalMySqlServer" applicationName="/" /> -->
          </providers>
        </siteMap>

• Marked as answer by ownmaster Thursday, February 11, 2016 12:15 PM
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 10:24 AM
  • That's good news but I'd test MySQL, it wouldn't surprise me if that's killed it.

I'll make an un-educated guess that the applicationName field is snagging some SharePoint operation and directing it to MySQL instead of the normal SQL provider. That would be an issue for SharePoint but by commenting it out that might break something that relies on that to find MySQL.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 10:31 AM
  • So far nothing changed about MySQL. I can access data from inside and outside of the server. I will update this thread if I find something new.
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 12:20 PM