none
Project Professional 2010 to connect Project Server 2010 (and edit plan via FBA) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have configured "Project Server 2010" with "Claim Authenticaton" (to support both Windows and Forms Auth) and created few plans in one of instance of PWA. I need to edit the plan through "Project Professional 2010" using "FBA Credential" (NOT by Windows Credential).

In "Project Professional 2007", there used to be one option to configure "Using Forms authenticated account", which is missing in "Project Professional 2010". Given the case, how to edit the plan using "FBA Credential" through "Project Professional 2010"?

Thanks

Rakesh Ranjan
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:21 AM

Answers

• Thanks to everyone for his/her suggestion made.

I am able to establish connection now. The issue was that 'Root Level Site Collection' was not created at the 'Web Application', on which 'PWA Instance' was created.'

So, If we want to connect 'Project Professional 2010' to 'Project Server 2010' with 'Any Mode of Authentication', we need to have 'Root Level Site Collection' created in the corresponding 'Web Applicaiton'.

Regards

Rakesh Ranjan
    • Marked as answer by RakeshRanjan Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:59 AM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:59 AM

All replies

• RakeshRanjan,

You will probably get a faster response if you post to the Project Server forum at, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general. This forum is dedicated to questions/issues about the stand alone versions of Project.

John

Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:29 PM
  • Hi John,

I am particular about "Project Professional" only, not about "Project Server". I just set the context for the problem, which I am facing while connecting to the server.

Let me re-phrase my question - how will I get an option in "Project Professional 2010" to create an account for "Forms Authentication" (to connect any server to edit plan), as similar to "Project Professional 2007"?

Thanks

Rakesh Ranjan
    Friday, August 12, 2011 3:22 AM
  • Hi John,

I am particular about "Project Professional" only, not about "Project Server". I just set the context for the problem, which I am facing while connecting to the server.

Let me re-phrase my question - how will I get an option in "Project Professional 2010" to create an account for "Forms Authentication" (to connect any server to edit plan), as similar to "Project Professional 2007"?

Thanks

Rakesh Ranjan
    Friday, August 12, 2011 3:22 AM
  • Hi,

if you have set up claims authentication to support both Windows and Forms Auth, you should get your default login page (choice for windows/FBA) when starting Project client with Server connection. Have you tried?

Regards
    Barbara

Friday, August 12, 2011 5:20 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

Default login page will come for Project Server (choice for windows/FBA), not for Project Professional. In project professional first you need to create one account for PWA instance with FBA account). That is not happening.

It may be I am not getting you properly. Can you please be more elaborative?

Thanks

Rakesh Ranjan
    Friday, August 12, 2011 6:12 AM
  • Hi,

I have not that much experience. When I did this, I created a forms user and added him to Project Managers group. After starting Project Professional client, I was prompted for authentication method when selecting my PWA instance. Is FBA enabled for Default zone?

Regards
    Barbara

Friday, August 12, 2011 6:19 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

Thanks for your prompt reponse. FBA is not enabled in the Default zone, it is enabled in one of the extented zone called Internet.

One query on your response, as you are telling you had been prompted for authentication method when selecting your PWA instance. This is not happening in my case. Just to inform, whole setup is configured with ADFS as well (along with FBA) and all URLs are HTTPS.

Thanks

Rakesh Ranjan
    Friday, August 12, 2011 6:46 AM
  • Hi,

have you set up your Project Professional profile with URL of your extended zone? If not, add this profile and try to connect with this one.

Regards
    Barbara

Friday, August 12, 2011 7:46 AM
  • Hi Barara,

I have my Project Professional profile with URL of my extended zone only, but still no luck.

It looks like problem is due to ADFS setup as of now, as I tried on another setup of Windows+FBA (No ADFS), it worked accordingly as you stated. Thanks for your input give till now.

Any idea if this problem could be due to ADFS setup?

Regards

Rakesh Ranjan
    • Marked as answer by RakeshRanjan Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:51 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by RakeshRanjan Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:52 AM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 11:36 AM
  • Thanks to everyone for his/her suggestion made.

I am able to establish connection now. The issue was that 'Root Level Site Collection' was not created at the 'Web Application', on which 'PWA Instance' was created.'

So, If we want to connect 'Project Professional 2010' to 'Project Server 2010' with 'Any Mode of Authentication', we need to have 'Root Level Site Collection' created in the corresponding 'Web Applicaiton'.

Regards

Rakesh Ranjan
    • Marked as answer by RakeshRanjan Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:59 AM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:59 AM