Remote Blob storage for sharepoint 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Please could someone recommend a solution to a big problem that I currently have in our SharePoint environment. A document library enabled for a group of our users has reached the 5000 threshold limit. I have explored the following options

a) create separate libraries

b) create subfolders within one library and keep the number of items in each library\folder less than or equal to 5000.

c) Create Multiple view and indexes.

d) enable remote blob storage out site the SQL SharePoint DB.

From the standpoint of the requirements SharePoint is to be used as a sort of storage location for the organizations documents( Not a fan of it but this is what is required).

Option a) could lead to potential endless number  of libraries which technically I do not want to do. Option b) seems like a solution but for the fear of the disadvantages of creating folders I'm still holding off on a better alternative. Option c) as crazy as it might seem does not meet the requirement because the use of explorer view of documents in sharepoint is critical to the way users work( They use an application called Harmonie which makes use of the explorer feature in sharepoint).Option d) is an option that I am currently exploring but need help with. Is there anyone that is good with SharePoint and at the same time good with BLOB storage that can verify if I were to create a remote blob storage share if this will work around the 5000 threshold limit set for document libraries? Ultimately, I'm looking a solution that give me better flexibility in terms of storing large files and large amount of data.

Please could some please shed some light.

Thanks,

Dominic

Thursday, January 28, 2016 12:08 PM

Answers

• RBS will do nothing at all to help you. It addresses a different problem and has no impact on the list view threshold.

You're best off looking at A and B. It sounds like you're fairly new to SharePoint and not yet fully persuaded that it makes your life better, if so there are some books or blogs that we can point you to which might help you understand how it can help?

For what it's worth i'm working on a site collection at the moment which has, in various sub sites, in the region of 60 document libraries. Lots of libraries can make sense if used with care and thought.

• Marked as answer by dnanna Monday, February 15, 2016 11:11 AM
    Thursday, January 28, 2016 12:17 PM
  • Hi Dominic,

In addition to Alex, about remote blob storage, it can help with how the content of the documents in the library is stored in the database. You can move the BLOB data of the documents outside the content database by using the RBS to save the space of the content database.

Overview of RBS in SharePoint 2013.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee748649.aspx

In the article below it has listed the limitation and benefits of the remote blob storage, you could refer to.

Deciding to use RBS in SharePoint 2013.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff628583.aspx

About the solution to store large file and large amount of the data, you could increase the list view threshold in the central administration. You could go to central administration, go to manage web applications, select one web application, click general settings in the ribbon, select resource throttling, then you could change increase the value in the list view threshold.

In the article below it has provided some ways to manage many items in the lists or libraries.

Manage lists and libraries with many items.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Manage-lists-and-libraries-with-many-items-b8588dae-9387-48c2-9248-c24122f07c59

Best regards,

Sara Fan

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Monday, February 15, 2016 7:16 AM
    Friday, January 29, 2016 7:43 AM

All replies

• RBS will do nothing at all to help you. It addresses a different problem and has no impact on the list view threshold.

You're best off looking at A and B. It sounds like you're fairly new to SharePoint and not yet fully persuaded that it makes your life better, if so there are some books or blogs that we can point you to which might help you understand how it can help?

For what it's worth i'm working on a site collection at the moment which has, in various sub sites, in the region of 60 document libraries. Lots of libraries can make sense if used with care and thought.

Thursday, January 28, 2016 12:17 PM
  • Hi Dominic,

In addition to Alex, about remote blob storage, it can help with how the content of the documents in the library is stored in the database. You can move the BLOB data of the documents outside the content database by using the RBS to save the space of the content database.

Overview of RBS in SharePoint 2013.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee748649.aspx

In the article below it has listed the limitation and benefits of the remote blob storage, you could refer to.

Deciding to use RBS in SharePoint 2013.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff628583.aspx

About the solution to store large file and large amount of the data, you could increase the list view threshold in the central administration. You could go to central administration, go to manage web applications, select one web application, click general settings in the ribbon, select resource throttling, then you could change increase the value in the list view threshold.

In the article below it has provided some ways to manage many items in the lists or libraries.

Manage lists and libraries with many items.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Manage-lists-and-libraries-with-many-items-b8588dae-9387-48c2-9248-c24122f07c59

Best regards,

Sara Fan

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Monday, February 15, 2016 7:16 AM
    Friday, January 29, 2016 7:43 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I am young in years in respect to the field of SharePoint as in comparism with native background in network Infrastructure. On the other hand it's all about providing solutions to your stake holders.You may have site collections that have numerous document libraries that fulfill your users requirements but this may not alway fit as prescribed.

Thanks,

Dominic

Thursday, February 4, 2016 6:07 PM
  • Hi Sam,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, its clear that RBS doesn't solve my attempts to get round the 5000 threshold limit for Doc. Libraries. I am also aware that one could increase the threshold view through the CA.Unfortunately, that still doesn't do the trick because you lose the required performance and  accessibilty to the library thorugh explorer.

Thanks for the feedback

Dominic

Thursday, February 4, 2016 6:16 PM
  • The tricky bit is often drilling past what your users are asking you to build them to find out what they really need. Then finding the best way to handle those requests with the tools you have.

With document libraries using folders or separating into other libraries is very common. It is unusual for them to hit the limits, although it does happen. See if you can't seperate the content out, or create an archive library and shift older files over to it.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 10:42 PM
  • HI,

her the link for download RBS doc : https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Install-and-configure-RBS-53086f39

Contents:-

1. Prerequisites

2. Provision a SharePoint 2013 site collection

3. Create a site collection in the newly created WebApp

4. Configure SQL Server 2012 SP1 for RBS

5. Configure and Test FileStream Access Level

6. Provision a BLOB Store for the content database

7. Install the RBS provider binaries on the SQL

8. Install RBS on the SharePoint Web Front Ends

9. Configure SharePoint 2013 to use RBS

10. Test for proper installation on all Web Front Ends

11. Set the Size Minimum Blob Storage

Deepesh Yevle -MCP MCTS MCITP ITIL

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Monday, February 15, 2016 7:15 AM
    Monday, February 8, 2016 1:53 AM
  • Thanks for this.

Dominic

Monday, February 15, 2016 11:10 AM
  • Actually increasing the threshold would allow Open with Explorer to work, but as you know you would be putting additional load on the SQL and SharePoint servers and it's not an approach that is recommended.
    Monday, February 15, 2016 11:23 AM
  • Yes it will but as it isn't recommended I have ruled it out as a parmanent solution to implement.
    Monday, February 15, 2016 3:23 PM