How do I import Excel cell data in to an already built custom list. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a custom list that we are using as an End Of Shift Report.

I would like to expand the list to incorporate some of our process data. (We are a paper mill). We have a data historian, PI Process Book, that has an Excel add-in, that allows us to import the process data in to Excel.

I am able to do the "import spreadsheet" function and get the data in to a new list. What I can't figure out is either how to import directly in to the custom list I have already created, or how to import from the new list to the custom list.

I could use the "new list" as a container for several different process points if I could figure out how to load the process data in to the custom list.

We are currently using WSS3, but are upgrading in either the 4th Q this year, or Q1 2014.

Any other suggestions on how to display single point data (End of Shift Inventory calculations for example) in a custom sharepoint list are welcome.

I want to take a tank level reading, which we monitor and multiply it by X gallons per foot, then load the total gallons in to the custom list

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:05 PM

All replies

• 1) Open WSS List, and Export it to Excel
    2) Open the Excel file you want to import
    3) Copy the cells in the source and paste them into the Excel file openned from the WSS List (only highlight one row to paste, it will fill down)
    4) You will see vaildation errors (yellow triangles), if there are any, correct them
    5) In the menubar go Data --> List --> Sync List
    6) You will see a blue status bar fill in the bottom left as data is copied up to the List   

Or you can try the below tools

> SharePoint Excel Import 2.5 http://www.boostsolutions.com/sharepoint-excel-import.html

> Import Excel data to SharePoint List. http://spreadsheet2splist.codeplex.com/

Regards MuSa

Thursday, May 16, 2013 2:06 PM
  • hy, m not getting these step in sharepoint 2013, can any guide what is the process in sharepoint 2013 to import excel sheet data in the existing list, one method is to import the data in the new spread sheet, but i want to fetch the data in the existing contact list.
    Friday, January 31, 2014 8:21 AM