Win 7 64 System Recovery Disc will not find external esata drive, even though it recorded the image on it - how do I install sata drivers? RRS feed

• Question

• Made a system image to my esata drive just fine, made system recovery disc and booted just fine, but could not find the image on the esata disc I created it on the day before! Fortunately, it has both interfaces, and when I switched to USB it found it and restored my image (perfectly and pretty quickly, I might add - I was impressed). How can I massage the system recovery disc to boot with sata drivers? The creation routine, in Microsoft's ever-dumbing-down style, has no options for installing, say, the sata drivers you would use from a floppy to boot from during installation, which my motherboard maker provides (Gigabyte). Is there any way to do this, or am I stuck switching to slow usb for external drives! Good thing my external disc has both interfaces, the cheaper ones don't. This is a big bug, as when you easily create a system image to an external drive, you naturally assume it will be able to find and restore from the same drive!! This could leave you high and dry and losing your whole system. Does anyone have a way to either (preferably) install the sata drivers onto the System Recovery Disc, or boot with them to use it on an external esata driver? Thanks!!
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can try the following steps to fix your issue.

1. Download the latest Chipset driver and eSata driver to your computer first, then Boot in the Windows Recovery Environment.
    2. Choose "Select a system image" in the System Recovery Options window.
    3. Click the Advanced button on the "RE-image your computer" window if it still can't locate the image.
    4. Choose "Install a driver", then move to the folder which is used to stored the eSata driver.
    5. After that, please check if we can find the system image this time.

I hope this can help you.

John
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, December 11, 2009 9:55 AM
    Friday, December 4, 2009 7:49 AM

All replies

• There could be more than one reason.  Maybe a setting in the BIOS.

I have done exactly the same thing on my Biostar TA770 A2+ which has 2 eSATA ports on the rear panel and was used to restore my system image.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 11:18 AM
  • Hi,

You can try the following steps to fix your issue.

1. Download the latest Chipset driver and eSata driver to your computer first, then Boot in the Windows Recovery Environment.
    2. Choose "Select a system image" in the System Recovery Options window.
    3. Click the Advanced button on the "RE-image your computer" window if it still can't locate the image.
    4. Choose "Install a driver", then move to the folder which is used to stored the eSata driver.
    5. After that, please check if we can find the system image this time.

I hope this can help you.

John
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, December 11, 2009 9:55 AM
    Friday, December 4, 2009 7:49 AM
  • Thanks, I'll try that. What I really want to know is how to add the right drivers to the System Recovery Disc (CD) it makes in the backup routine, so I can boot entirely from the cd and not the system; if the system gets to the point of not booting anymore, or the hard drive fails, that option of loading the sata driver from the Windows Recovery Environment would not be available. If that routine allows me to pick an advanced driver at restore time, how can I id the proper driver to somehow add to the cd? Windows has no options when creating the disc. I thought I could use isobuster or similar to copy the disc to the hard drive, open the iso file, add the drivers it needs and reburn the iso. I updated the drivers from everyone when I installed win 7 64 two weeks ago, they are all current.

I just need somone that might know to help me do that, to know where it looks on the cd, how to make sure my sata driver is on there to use. I thought the install from floppy drivers available on the motherboard web site might be the ones I could use, but need some insight on where to put them so the disc finds them at boot, and whether I need to edit a config file on the cd image.

Anyone have any experience with this and can share? Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 10:42 AM
  • If you want to add the driver to the Recovery Image, you can refer to the following link:

http://blogs.msdn.com/winre/archive/2006/12/12/creating-winre-using-waik.aspx

I hope this can help u. ^^
    John
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Tuesday, January 5, 2010 12:56 AM
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:58 AM