none
Domain offline for extended period

Question

• Hello

I have a small business network with two domain controllers. Due to a relocation and change of business focus, my entire network will be offline, possibly for longer than 180 days.

What can I expect if I have both domain controllers shutdown for this long and start them back up? The tombstone lifetime for this domain is 180 days. I'm concerned that other critical operations, like SYSVOL replication, will also be impacted. I can't find any documentation that details how the tombstone lifetime for domain controllers is counted. Is it counted by the calendar? Even if both domain controllers were offline for 200 days, when they started back up they would fail to function correctly? Or, is it counted by time passed while online? Both domain controllers have been offline for 200 days, but there have been no failed replication attempts during this period because they have both been offline.

If it is the latter then there shouldn't be any problems, they'll both be shutdown together and started up together. If it is the former then I'd like to configure the domain ahead of time to survive this shutdown for a long period.

As a potential solution, I could demote the DC not holding FSMO roles and then promote again after the shutdown, but the decision to start up will probably be made quickly and I'll want as little reconfiguration and/or repair as possible.

Has anyone ever gone through this process before for all domain controllers in a domain? I'd appreciate hearing your experience and feedback.

Thank you.

B

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 8:04 AM

Answers

• Hi

If both dc's offline and there wasn't any replication,changes,etc..during the period,you should try to modify Tombstone Lifetime for the Domain.

Check the article to perform and give a try this;

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd378821%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

• Proposed as answer by AlvwanModerator Friday, December 9, 2016 9:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by piscesbjf Friday, December 9, 2016 11:29 PM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2016 8:13 AM

All replies

• Hi

If both dc's offline and there wasn't any replication,changes,etc..during the period,you should try to modify Tombstone Lifetime for the Domain.

Check the article to perform and give a try this;

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd378821%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

• Proposed as answer by AlvwanModerator Friday, December 9, 2016 9:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by piscesbjf Friday, December 9, 2016 11:29 PM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2016 8:13 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 9, 2016 9:24 AM
  • Thank you for your suggestion. I have increased the tombstone lifetime to 365 days so that should allow me to proceed with the extended shutdown without any issues when the domain is started up again.

I appreciate your feedback!

B

Friday, December 9, 2016 11:29 PM