Windows Explorer - Details View - Vertical Spacing Readability Issues RRS feed

• Question

• When I use the details view, the vertical spacing between rows is so big it makes it hard to scan down long lists. It's most notable when chaning from list view to details view, also the folder pane on the left doesn't have this odd spacing. I know MS has embraced liberal use of white space, but this spacing is uncommon and very hard to use for long lists. Is there any way to change this back to normal?
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:48 PM

Answers

• Desktop - Right click - Personalize - Window Color - Advanced Appearance Settings - and change all fonts to Tahoma 8, and you will get windows xp font, and little less spacing
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Wednesday, August 5, 2009 9:55 AM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 10:16 PM

All replies

• Apparently it's not as pronounced with 'make text bigger' set to 100% instead of 125 or 150.....
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 12:29 AM
  • There's that but since windows 95 the display area has become dedicated to Status bars, Organize bars and so on so that about 1/3 of screen is not available to "Explorer". The obvious and seems to me relatively easy solution would be a Full screen option where only heading occupying space would be Name, Size etc.

Course there's always   
    Command prompt     dir c:\windows\system32
    Wow try                Tree c:\windows\system32

Yes a little disfunctional. You could suggest that something be done about this, cause as well as response to bugs, that's what it's all about isn't it? 
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Tuesday, July 28, 2009 8:11 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by leobaby Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:08 PM
    Friday, July 24, 2009 10:16 AM
  • This is so far removed from what I was asking I'm not sure how it was marked as an answer. How do I change the spacing between rows in details view in Windows Exporer?
    • Proposed as answer by imaticx Thursday, July 30, 2009 10:14 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Robinson Zhang Wednesday, August 5, 2009 9:55 AM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:10 PM
  • Desktop - Right click - Personalize - Window Color - Advanced Appearance Settings - and change all fonts to Tahoma 8, and you will get windows xp font, and little less spacing
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Wednesday, August 5, 2009 9:55 AM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 10:16 PM
  • leobaby,
    I have not been able to recreate the problem you are having. I have tried many combinations of icon size and views. Have you checked the setting display settings and ease of access settings in the control panel?
    The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 10:25 PM
  • Changing fonts to Tahoma 8 does not fix this. Has anyone got a real answer?
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 2:09 AM
  • Changing fonts to Tahoma 8 does not fix this. Has anyone got a real answer?

I tried it also.  Details view still displays at "space and a half" line spacing.  Bother.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 2:48 AM
  • Spacing is too high indeed. No option to fix that?
    Monday, August 31, 2009 1:37 PM
  • I think this has Something to do with touch screens, but for those of us who do not use touch screens I wish we could set the spacing back to 1 pixel.

I have poked around to see if I could find some setting with no luck. It is really foolish with all of our big monitors we get less lines than we did on a CRT.

Saturday, October 24, 2009 3:38 PM
  • have a look to the  second window [the 'details' style one) on my  deviant page    http://zeusosx.deviantart.com/art/WINDOWS-7-by-ZEUSosX-141088122   .
     what you ask can be ,  but needed modifications  in parameters of the code.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:47 PM
  • I went to your site and that is exactly what I need. Please, please, how do I do it?

Dave
    Friday, December 25, 2009 6:59 PM
  • This you ask exist on explorerframe parameters.
    ----------
    i am sorry Dave but i will upload my work when [and if] i finish it [or at least a part enough to give a mac touch to it]
    On past time , if you see in my deviant art gallery[and in other forums] i have given code analysis, and help others, but because some people realeased themes, with stolen images and code from my past work/themes, i decided not reffer or to analyse anything as on past [in a value ,i do that only to some cases for some things like  here  in microsoft technet forums as forexample i have given some information 'how to change the window's background color on windows7'  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/68f5d7e8-13b0-4f09-bee5-9938175b2547   or to few people in which i speak, like Panda x, so look at this web page analysis the image with colors for having a first view at  http://thepanda-x.deviantart.com/art/DUIXML-Explorer-Frame-40960-144372780  ].

-----------------------------------------------------------
    -------ExplorerFrame.dll -- UIFILE -- 40960-------
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    UIItem -> List View Item Background (Icon & Label) (All Views Except Details)
    UIImage -> Icon Background
    UIProperty -> Label Background
    UIItemsView -> List View Background (All Views)
    ItemGridLayout -> Item Grid (All Views Except Details and Content)
    ItemRowLayout -> Row Background (Details and Content View) [Note: In Content View this is under UIItem]

-------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------Color Reference------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------
    UIItem -> Sea Green
    UIImage -> Forest Green
    UIProperty -> Light Blue
    UIItemsView -> Purple
    ItemGridLayout -> Hot Pink
    ItemRowLayout -> Beige

----

also i have added new  code for the mouse pressed foders as icons  on maC style, that means different background for the text and different [colored] background for the folder area,  http://gallery.expression.microsoft.com/en-us/iconsView  ,  http://zeusosx.deviantart.com/art/WINDOWS-7-by-ZEUSosX-141088122  though this modification has changed the whole internal code so its needed  to some parts to be rewritten and add new code lines. [also added new  code for the mouse pressed foders as details, content and for tiles]

• Edited by ZEUSosX Sunday, December 27, 2009 10:19 PM
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 1:00 PM
  • There is no tag with 'explorerframe' on the UIFILE XML. Please state more precisely to allow search&replace. Thank you!
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 3:19 PM
  • Zeus, you are certainly entitled to protect your intellectual property.

I think most of us do not want our PCs to look like MACs.  We just want them to look more like PCs, the way they used to look.

Any clues you can share with us, as to what to change or add to the registry or elsewhere are greatly appreciated.
    • Proposed as answer by ZEUSosX Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:53 PM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 12:03 AM
  • He changed too many things to tell anything for sure. It could just be a side-effect by one of his modifications (font, icon, whatever..). This doesn't help at all unless proven as single dedicated modification. We've already seen that line spacing is directly affected by other elements like fonts.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 1:03 AM
  • the vertical space has to do with the size of the icon that details use, that means that must be equal or bigger than 16 pixels, the microsoft font  is used  is the  SegoeUI 9.   because i use a windows 7 rc  32bit, i dont know if the windows rtm  32bit explorerframe is the same. if someone uploads an explorerframe.dll from a windows rtm  32bit  i could make the modification, and upload it.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 11:40 PM
  • i already posted this on this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproui/thread/34a8a5ea-f469-469a-89ec-80098c8ec268

but i came across this thread and figured i'd post it here too...

Hey guys, i've been looking into how to do this (actually i use list view more so i was looking up how to make list view more compact, but i stumbled across this thread as i was doing my searching, so i looked into how to make list view and details view more compact.) with the help of the user "Tweaker" from sevenforums.com, i managed to get it looking like how i wanted list view and details view to look.

check out this thread: http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/45276-possible-change-list-item-height-spacing.html

you'll need a program called Resource Hacker to edit a file in windows/system32 called ExplorerFrame.dll

or am I allowed to just post a link to my edited ExplorerFrame.dll? I'm not sure if Microsoft has rules against that.
    Friday, January 1, 2010 8:33 AM
  • I want to join in the chorus here expressing grave concern about the wasted space in Details View for File Explorer in Windows 7.  What a step backward!  I chose to upgrade from XP Pro to Win7 to get MORE functionality, not less.  I have hundreds of thousands of files arranged in many, many folders, and I need to access the proper folder quickly without excess up and down scrolling.  More productivity should be the goal, not less!!!

Hacking a deep .dll is a dangerous way to fix this - that file might be updated from time to time causing critical updates to fail and it would be MUCH better to have a fix from Microsoft.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 12:17 AM
  • I'd like to second W.E. Moerner's comment and request -- please, MS, let's have a fix or option to reduce the vertical white space in Explorer's List and Detail views.

Other MS apps (eg., Windows Live Mail) don't pad their lists with unnecessary vertical space -- why does Explorer need too?

Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:31 PM
  • I like my screen realestate to be the way I want so this issue annoys me greatly also, both in the details view and in the folder tree. What bothers me the most is that it is obviously something you can disable as proven by the explorer shell reverting to its normal 1px line spacing in the "open/save" dialog windows of pre-windows 7 apps like Office 2003.
    Sunday, September 5, 2010 3:07 AM
  • ANSWER FOUND!!!!

This registry tweak is actually for another option (disable autoarrange) in the explorer options but it also CHANGES THE LINE SPACING!!!!!

The properties of the folder may have to be set to "General" but most of my folders have reverted to XP spacing using this registry edit.

Go to http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/disable-auto-arrange-folders-windows-7/ and download 'disable-auto-arrange.zip'. This will add the option to disable autoarrange to your right click menu in explorer but something in the settings also changed my line spacing.

Back up your registry; there is an undo file included in case you want to remove it.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:58 AM
  • I use XYplorer. It has an option to tune that spacing both in tree and in list view.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:42 AM
  • This is the gift that keeps on giving!

I had finally upgraded to a computer with Windows 7 and this problem frustrated me. Thank you for solution!

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 3:17 PM