Outlook 2016 issue with opening encrypted emails from Office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• We have the full client version of Outlook 2016.

When a user tries to open an encrypted email in Outlook 2016 client, the client opens a web browser takes a few moments then displays " you may now close the browser".

Current work around is to have the users open the email via portal.office.com. 

How can we have Outlook 2016 either open the web page correctly to ask for identification or display the message in outlook 2016?

FYI The encryption is being applied by Office365.

• Edited by Danolus Tuesday, April 28, 2020 12:09 AM clarification
    Monday, April 27, 2020 11:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to our forum.

What's the account on your Outlook 2016 client? You may need to sign in with a Microsoft account or with the work or school account you use with Microsoft 365 to view the encrypted message.

Please refer to the articles below and see if they are helpful.

Sign in to view your Microsoft 365 encrypted message.

How do I open a protected message?

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 28, 2020 6:48 AM
  • The account for Outlook 2016 client and the MS account are the same. 

Outlook tries to do the correct thing. It opens a browser (IE). My assumption is to allow for the identification of the user. Unfortunately that piece didn't work. After the browser opens there is a pause for about 3 seconds with a couple of URL changes then the browser displays "you may now close this window".

What I expected was a prompt to choose login with account or use a onetime pass code.

• Edited by Danolus Tuesday, April 28, 2020 3:15 PM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2020 3:15 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

How about changing a browser?

Besides, if possible, it is suggested to configure your email account on anotehr computer(Outlook) and see if there is any difference.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 29, 2020 8:45 AM
  • Hi,

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Wednesday, May 6, 2020 7:58 AM
  • Copying the link and trying a new browser, Chrome, results in the same message  - "You may now close this window."

I have several users with this issue. In fact all of my Outlook 2016 users are seeing this issue with encrypted emails from O365.

Thursday, May 7, 2020 7:22 PM